• BOARD MEETING: The Miami County Children’s Services Board will meet at 9 a.m. at the Children’s Services offices, 510 W. Water St., Suite 210, Troy.
• COACH’S CLINIC: WACO Air Museum, 1865 S. County Road 25A, Troy, will host a First LEGO League Coach’s Clinic from 6-7 p.m. The clinic will cover The Three Components of an FLL Competition, Tips and Best Practices for a FLL Coach, Timing of the 2015 season, and Intro into Programming the EV3 robots. There is no cost and no obligation to coach. RSVP at (937) 335-9226 or call for additional information.
• DIXIELAND MUSIC: The Lower London Street Dixieland Band will perform at 7 p.m. at the Tipp Roller Mill Theater, 225 E. Main St., Tipp City. Admission is $8 adults and $4 for students K- 6. For more information or to make a reservation call (937) 667-3696.
• CHICKEN SALAD DINNER: The American Legion Auxiliary Unit 586, Tipp City will offer chicken salad croissants with chips for $4 and cookies 2 for 50 cents starting at 6 p.m. Euchre will start at 7 p.m. for $5.
• CHEESE RAVIOLI: The Sons of the American Legion Squadron 586, Tipp City, will prepare cheese ravioli with meat sauce. salad and rolls for $7. Starts at 6 p.m.
• OUTDOOR MOVIE: Bring a lawn chair or blanket and join staff at sunset for the movie “Home” at the Oakes-Beitman Memorial Library, 12 N. Main St., Pleasant Hill. The movie is rated PG and runs 1 hour and 34 minutes. For more information, call (937) 676-2731, or visit www.tmcpl.org.
• WII PARTY: Play Wii games like Guitar Hero and Mario Kart on the library’s own system at the Milton-Union Public Library from 1-3 p.m. The party is open to all ages! Milton-Union thanks Miami County Foundation for the grant for the Wii operating system and accessories.
• GIVEAWAY GARAGE SALE: Everything is free! Items include household goods, books tools, clothing, school supplies and more. Mid-County Church of Christ, 1580 Dorset Road, Troy, 9 a.m. to noon. For more information, call (937) 335-1313
• KARAOKE: The American Legion Post 586, Tipp City will host karaoke with Papa D starting at 7 p.m. till close.
• PORK CHOPS: The Pleasant Hill VFW Post 6557, 7578 W. Fenner Road, Ludlow Falls, will offer a marinated pork chop (non-marinated pork chops available upon request) dinner with baked potato and corn for $9 from 5-7 p.m.
• MUSIC IN PARKS: The Miami County Park District will hold its Music in the Park “Heart Beat of the Earth” program from 1-4 p.m. at Charleston Falls Preserve, 2535 Ross Road, south of Tipp City. Participants are invited to listen to the sound of music and nature. Bring a blanket to sit on and a snack to eat. Register for the program by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, emailing email@example.com or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 104.
• NIGHT HIKE: Brukner Nature Center will have a night hike at 9 p.m. Every month BNC Naturalists plan a nighttime adventure in to the Brukner woodlands! Exploring the BNC woods during the day can be fun but being able to explore at night is an adventure. Join a BNC naturalist as you take off into the woods. Free and open to the public.
• PUBLIC STAR GAZE: Join the Stillwater Stargazers and explore the starry night sky at 10 p.m.at Brukner Nature Center. Members will have their telescopes set up to answer questions. This program is free and open to the public, following the night hike.
• FREE MOVIE: One choice transforms this teenager in the second film installment based on the best-selling novel series at Milton-Union Public Library’s “Movie Matinee.” The free film is shown on the “big screen” at 2:30 p.m. Movie watchers are encouraged to bring their own comfy chair and refreshments. Check the library’s website for future showings.
• ALL YOU CAN EAT BREAKFAST: Served by the American Legion Post 586, Tipp City from 8-11 a.m. for $6. Items available will be eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, pancakes, French toast, regular toast, sausage gravy, biscuits, home fries, cinnamon rolls, fruit and juices.
• VIEW FROM THE VISTA: Brukner Nature Center will be having its View from the Vista from 2-4 p.m. Come discover Brukner Nature Center’s vista birdlife and join members of the BNC Bird Club as you learn to identify our feathered friends! So come on out, enjoy the camaraderie in the third story window on wildlife. All levels of birders welcome. Really good binoculars available for use. Free and open to the public.
• DOG SOCIAL: The Miami County Park District will hold its monthly Dog Social from 1-3 p.m. at Stillwater Prairie Reserve, 9750 State Route 185, north of Covington. If your dog is nice and plays well with others, bring them to the park to take part in “Hero Dogs.” This month our special guests will be the Buckeye Search and Rescue Dogs. These animal heroes will demonstrate how they assist with search and rescue operations. Please remember owners are responsible for their dogs. Register for the program by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 104.
• BLTs: Prepared by by the American Legion Post 586, Tipp City. Cost is $5. Serving starts at 6 p.m.
• OPTIMISTS MEET: The Troy Noon Optimist Club will meet at noon at LaPiazza. Heather Davey Leaser of Girl Scout Troop 30722 will speak.
• CRAFTY LISTENERS: The Crafty Listenersgather from 1-2:30 p.m. at the Milton-Union Public Library. This group of women listens to a lighthearted book while working on joint and individual craft projects. Both experienced crafters and those wanting to learn are welcome.
• QUARTER AUCTION: American Legion Post 586 from 7-9 p.m. Doors open at 6:15 for viewing of auction items and seating. The charity is the Springfield Track Club, a volunteer track and field club open to children 5-18 regardless of where they live or go to school and costs are paid by fundraisers or parents. Food will be available for purchase from 5:30-8:30 p.m.
• TINY TOTS: Tiny Tots meet from 1-1:30 p.m. at the Milton-Union Public Library in West Milton. This is an interactive opportunity for children from birth to 4-years-old and their caretakers to hear stories, play games, sing songs, and do other activities with children’s librarian Wendy Heisey.
• LIBRARY BOARD: The Milton-Union Public Library Board of Trusteesinvites the public to their regular monthly meeting at 7 p.m. The library is located at 560 S. Main St., West Milton.
• BOOK GROUP: Come to the Pleasant Hill Library’s book discussion group at 4:30 p.m. and share in a book discussion with other book enthusiasts. Participants will be reading and discussing “Cold Black Earth” by Sam Reaves. The Kindle Your Interest in Books Club is open to all adult and young adult readers. The Oakes-Beitman Memorial Library is located at 12 N. Main St., Pleasant Hill. For more information, call the Pleasant Hill library at (937) 676-2731.
• BRIDGE PROGRAM: The Miami County Historical & Genealogical Society’s August program is “The Eldean Bridge.” at 6:30 p.m. at the Piqua Public Library, Louis Room, 116 W. High St., Piqua. Speaking will be retired County Engineer Doug Christian, the recipient of the 2014 MCHGS Heritage Award, and will be discussing the Eldean bridge in Troy. For more information, contact Stephanie Winchester at (937) 307-7142, email@example.com or visit the organization’s Facebook page.
• KIWANIS MEETING: The Piqua Kiwanis will meet at noon at The Bistro Room, 1876 Commerce Drive, Piqua. The program will be Ms. Wheelchair Ohio Jasmine Spradley. For more information, call Brian Phillips at 778-1586 or visit www.freewebs.com/piquakiwanis/.
• STORY TIME: The weather theme continues with “Tornadoes” at the Milton-Union Public Library’s Story Time this week. Children’s librarian Wendy Heisey hosts two sessions, one at 10:30 a.m. and one at 1:30 p.m. Stories, crafts, games and puppet shows are included in the activities for preschool children and their caretakers.
• WOMEN’S CONNECTION: The Troy-Tipp Women’s Connection will be at noon at the Troy Country Club. The theme of the luncheon is “Expect the Unexpected.” The feature will be Rebel and Steve Marcum of Tipp City and music also will be by them. The speaker will be Letitia Hicks of Stoutsville, speaking on “Rule 1 — Plan Well; Rule 2 — Have a backup plan; Rule 3 – Be flexible.” Lunch is $12.50 inclusive and reservations are due on Aug. 15 and can be made by calling Nancy at 339-7859 or Joan at 335-3001. A complimentary nursery is provided by calling Diana Hutsell at 667-2376 and is located at the Nazarene Church located on State Route 55. The Prayer Breakfast will be at Bob Evans in Troy at 9 a.m. Aug. 12.
• KIWANIS MEETING: The Kiwanis of Troy will meet at noon at the Troy County Club. John Terwilliger will be speaking about the Troy All Sports Hall of fame.
• TACO SALAD: The American Legion Auxiliary Unit 586, Tipp City, will offer taco salads for $4 and cookies two for 50 cents. Serving starts at 6 p.m. Euchre will start at 7 p.m. for $5.
• MELODY MEN: The Friends of the Piqua Public Library will present a performance by the Miami- Shelby Melody Men at 7 p.m. in the lobby of the Piqua Public Library, 116 W. High St., Piqua, as part of the Library Lounge Series. The theme of the event is “In the Good Ol’ Summertime.” The event is free, open to the public, and will last about 40 minutes.
• EXTRAVAGANZA: It’s an End of Summer Extravaganza for teens at the Milton-Union Public Library! Join Teen Specialist J.D. Woodward on the front lawn for cornhole, super-size games and lots of fun! The party is open to middle and high schoolers and goes from 6-7 p.m.
• HIGH NOONERS: In “Bed and Breakfast” by Lois Battle, the septuagenarian widow of an unfaithful martinet of an army officer and owner of a bed and breakfast in South Carolina is determined that all three of her daughters will be reunited for the upcoming Christmas holidays. That will be no easy task after years of real and imagined affronts among the siblings and their mother. Discuss the heartaches and upstairs/downstairs antics of this story with the ladies of the Milton-Union Public Library’s “High Nooners.” They will meet from noon to 1:30 p.m. in the community room.
• CHICKEN AND NOODLES: The American Legion Auxiliary Unit 586, Tipp City, will serve chicken and noodles, mashed potatoes, veggie, salad and dessert for $7. Serving starts at 6 p.m.
• SALAD LUNCHEON: The Women’s Fellowship of the Covington Christian Church will again have salad luncheons on the third Friday of each of the next five months. The lunch includes a large assortment of homemade salads, desserts and finger sandwiches from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. Diners can enjoy the specialty, “hot chicken salad.” A drink is included for $6. Carry-outs are available upon request. The church is located at 115 N. Pearl St., Covington, and is air conditioned and handicapped accessible.
• KARAOKE: The American Legion Post 586, Tipp City, will host karaoke with Papa D, 7 p.m. to close.
• DOWN THE RIVER: Down The River, Down A Beer event will be held at Lock 9 Park, Piqua. The event will include canoe events, including canoe races from 4-7 p.m., followed by beer tasting from 6-9 p.m. For more information, call Jim at (937) 214-7266.
• CAMPFIRE PROGRAM: The Miami County Park District VIP’s will host a Cast Iron Cooking & Campfire program from 7:30-10:30 p.m. at Stillwater Prairie Reserve, 9750 State Route 185 north of Covington. Participants will start their evening with the Park District VIPs as they teach the secrets of cast iron cooking. Afterward, sit around the campfire and sample the delicious cuisine. The Stillwater Stargazers will be on site to teach about the wonders of the summer night sky. Special guests, the Russia Jammers, will provide musical entertainment. There is no fee for this program but donations are appreciated. Register for the program by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 104.
• FREE MOVIE: Storm trackers, thrill-seekers, and everyday townspeople document an unprecedented onslaught of tornadoes touching down in the film featured at the Milton-Union Public Library “Movie Matinee” at 2:30 p.m. Movie watchers are encouraged to bring their own comfy chair and refreshments. Check the library’s website for future showings.
• STEAK FRY: The Pleasant Hill VFW Post 6557, 7578 W. Fenner Road, Ludlow Falls, will offer a New York strip steak dinner with salad, baked potato and a roll for $13 from 5-8 p.m.
• BREAKFAST BUFFET: The Pleasant Hill VFW Post 6557, 7578 W. Fenner Road, Ludlow Falls, will offer breakfast buffet from 6:30-10 a.m.