By Mike Ullery
WEST MILTON — Investigators say a 65-year-old West Milton man died when he was electrocuted outside his home late Tuesday night. He has been identified, according to our news partners at WDTN, as Dale Mehaffey.
West Milton police, fire, and rescue were dispatched to a Locust Lane address around 11 p.m. on the report of a man down from electrocution and still laying on the line.
According to investigators, a transformer blew, setting fire to Mehaffey’s truck. When he went outside to investigate, he was electrocuted by a live wire.
It is not yet known if Mehaffey walked into the live wire, or if the heavy rain played a part in the accident.
Because the line was likely still energized, first responders were unable to reach the victim when they first arrived. They stood by in heavy rain awaiting the arrival of Dayton Power & Light workers.
The DP&L lineman arrived approximately 15 minutes after being called and cut off power, disrupting power to much of the city.
The coroner was called to the scene on Locust Lane, in the city, early Wednesday morning.
Witnesses near the scene reported hearing a transformer blow around 10:54 p.m. and they went outside to see the victim laying on the pavement.
Authorities are still investigating the incident.
— Cecilia Fox contributed to this article. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reach Mike Ullery at (937) 451-3335