BRADFORD — It was a family affair at the Bradford Pumpkin Show this year, kicking off the festivities with a Pumpkin Diaper Derby and Pumpkin City Run this week and leading to Little Miss and Master Pumpkin and a kiddie tractor pull.
Cooper Cano, 11 months old, the son of Kylie Petitjean and Josh Cano of Arcanum, was the winner of the first division of the Pumpkin Diaper Derby.
“It was pretty cool,” Josh Cano said.
“It was a late start, but he won the race,” Petitjean said.
Over at the Pumpkin City Run, Sunny Peeples ran from her father, Shawn, to her mother, Holly, to win the first division of that race.
Pumpkins themselves also brought families together at the festival.
Blake Aultman and his family, of the Greenville-Bradford area, were at the Bradford Pumpkin Festival passing on the tradition of pumpkin-growing and local festivities to the next generation to Aultman’s two kids, Keegan and Kinley.
The Aultmans were second place winners in the heaviest pumpkin contest, with their pumpkin weighing in at 336 pounds.
It was a family project when they planted around 10 pumpkin seeds in late May. As the pumpkin began to form, it grew approximately three inches per day. The family kept measuring the pumpkin until it exceeded 60 inches and they ran out of measuring tape.
“It’s my first time ever trying growing,” Blake Aultman said. “It’s interesting. It’s fun to try.”
The first place winners were another pair of Aultmans, Sophia and William Aultman, with their pumpkin weighing in at 339 pounds.
“It would be neat for more people to get into it,” Aultman said.
Parades were also held each night, in addition to food trucks, rides, games, and other booths lining Miami Avenue.
Festivities continue tonight and Saturday.
The following includes the scheduled events for the Bradford Pumpkin Festival today:
• Midway open: 1-11 pm
• 1 p.m. — Rides and midway open
• 1:30 p.m. — School parade
• 4:30 p.m. — Big Wheel Contest (NOTE: Registration is at 4 p.m.) – Midway near secretary’s office
• 8 p.m. — Live entertainment: Jeff Hittle at the north end stage
The following includes the scheduled events for the Bradford Pumpkin Festival for Saturday:
• Midway open: 10 a.m. to 11 p.m.
• 8 a.m. — 5K Race (Sponsored by BORM), Race route around Bradford
• 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. — Car Show at the back of Village of Bradford Park behind rides
• 10 a.m. — Rides and midway open
• 12 p.m. — Craft Show open (end time varies by vendor) in the space between Iddings Park and bike path
• 12 p.m. — Pet and novelty parade that will starts at the city building and end at north end stage
• 2 p.m. — Cutest Baby Contest (judging and line up begins at 1:30 p.m.) – north end stage
• 4 p.m. — Extravaganza parade
• 5 p.m. — Smash A Pumpkin (tickets on sale all week) – north end stage
• 6:30 p.m. — Talent Show – north end stage
• 10 p.m. — Lucky Pumpkin Sweepstakes (tickets on sale all week) – north end stage
Reach Sam Wildow at email@example.com or (937) 451-3336