PIQUA — Several local students received scholarships thanks to Holiday Classic Scholarship. The winners were announced at the Buckeye Insurance Group Holiday Classic basketball tournament, presented by WPTW and hosted by Piqua High School, in December 2014. One male and one female athlete from each of the opposing 2014 basketball teams — Covington, Lehman, Piqua and Russia — will receive $250 toward their education. Also receiving an award this year is a student recognized in 2013 who recently graduated.
To obtain this award, winners must possess the highest grade point average on their team and have previously lettered in sports.
“These young men and women earned these scholarships based on their commitment to education as well as exceeding in their sport,” said Doug Haines, president and CEO of Buckeye Insurance Group.
This scholarship program was founded by Muzzy Broadcasting and Buckeye Insurance Group in 2013.
“I’m pleased to have partnered with Doug Haines to establish this program and together our goal is to grow the number of sponsors and ultimately increase the scholarship amount in the future,” said Rick Muzzy, president of Muzzy Broadcasting and WPTW Radio.
Miami County 2014 scholarship winners include:
• Cassity Cain, Covington Buccaneers – attending Mount Vernon University
• Austin Lefeld, Covington Buccaneers – attending Ohio State University
• Hannah Went, Piqua Indians – attending University of Kentucky
• Tate Honeycutt, Piqua Indians – attending Adrian College
• Brooke Jones, Lehman Cavaliers – attending Bowling Green State University
• Nick Earhart, Lehman Cavaliers – attending Miami University
2013 scholarship winner (graduated in 2015):
• Heidi Cron, Covington Buccaneers — attending Ohio State University