DAYTON — The Vectren Dayton Air Show Presented by Kroger takes to the skies next weekend, June 24-25, at the Dayton International Airport. The 2017 edition of Dayton’s premier summer event will showcase 11 feature flying attractions headlined by the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds. Here are some highlights of the show both in the air and on the ground:
• U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds – Feel the pride and hear the thunder as the world-renowned Thunderbirds flying six F-16 Fighting Falcons thrill the audience with their jaw-dropping maneuvers 18 inches apart at speeds up to 450 mph.
• U.S. Navy F-18 Super Hornet – The Navy’s premier strike fighter will show its Top Gun might. Used heavily by our nation in military operations abroad, the carrier-based Super Hornet will dazzle air show fans with its 44,000 pounds of thrust and awesome maneuverability.
• U.S. Air Force F-35 Lightning II – America’s newest fighter jet will fly for the first time in Dayton in a heritage flight with a historic P-51 Mustang.
• Misty Blues All Woman Skydiving Team – Marvel at the talent of the world’s only all-woman parachute team with their beautiful pink and blue parachutes and huge American flag.
• Doolittle Tokyo Raid – Join in on the commemoration of the 75th anniversary of the April 18, 1942 raid on Tokyo by Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle, complete with B-25 Mitchel bombers and pyrotechnics. A historic tribute to the 80 brave men that flew this top-secret mission.
• Sean D. Tucker – Watch in amazement as 2008 National Aviation Hall of Fame inductee Sean D. Tucker flies backward, straight down and tail first in an unforgettable performance.
• GEICO Skytypers – See the famous skytyping team perform a precision flying demonstration and create smoke messages as tall as the Empire State Building that can be seen for 15 miles.
• Redline Formation Aerobatics – Watch as Team Lead Pilot Ken Rieder and Wingman Jon Thocker thrill spectators with their precision aerobatics in their home built Van’s RV-8 aircraft. These guys are amazing and local from nearby Cincinnati.
• Rob Holland Ultimate Aerobatics – Making a first-time appearance in Dayton, see-six time U.S. National Aerobatic Champion Rob Holland at the controls of his powerful MXS-RH aircraft.
• U.S. Coast Guard SAR Demonstration – See a simulation of a rescue mission with the incredible Coast Guard MH-65 Dolphin twin turbine rescue helicopter.
• Lockheed Martin T-50A – Get a sneak preview of a new jet trainer that will enable pilots to make the leap from propeller-powered T-6A’s to the fifth-generation F-22 and F-35 fighter jets.
That’s not all! Before, during and after the spectacular flying, spectators can enjoy the many activities on the show grounds:
• Aircraft – Over 50 aircraft from the largest to smallest including military, warbird, historic, experimental and ultralights. Tour aircraft like the B-1B Lancer heavy bomber.
• Displays – Unique ground displays and interactive activities including the KC-135 Stratotanker Boom Pod.
• Meet the troops – Meet the men and women of the United States Air Force, Navy, Army, Marine Corps and Coast Guard by their aircraft and thank them for their service to our country.
• Vectren kids’ hangar – Activities just for kids, from face painting to crafts to a giant sand box. Loved by moms and dads, too! Also don’t miss the fun inflatables just for kids!
• Food, beverages and souvenirs – Enjoy a variety of delicious food, ice-cold beverages and wide selection of souvenirs, apparel and memorabilia.
The 2017 Vectren Dayton Air Show Presented by Kroger is exciting and fun for the entire family. Popular specialty seating options are now on sale at the show’s website, www.daytonairshow.com. Customers can enjoy print-at-home or print-to-mobile options on website purchases.
Spectators can get to the show with ease by taking the continuous Park & Ride Express Shuttle service provided by Greater Dayton RTA from the U.S. Air Force Museum and Wright Stop Plaza in downtown