CHRISTIANSBURG – The village of Christiansburg’s Bicentennial Committee is creating a book to celebrate 200 years of history.
The book, titled “Christiansburg, Ohio: Reflections of Our Village — A Bicentennial History 1817-2017,” will highlight the history of the village’s local businesses, fire department, churches, schools, buildings and lodges. It will include biographies of the village’s founding fathers and other former residents.
“You can only celebrate 200 years once,” said Mike Welty, member of the Christiansburg Bicentennial Committee. “Christiansburg has a few claims to fame, one of which is that we have Civil War Congressional Medal of Honor winner Sgt. Maj. Marion A. Ross.”
Listing his hometown as Christiansburg, Ross was the first person to receive the Medal of Honor posthumously. He was one of Andrew’s Raiders, who commandeered a train in 1862 in the hopes of destroying a major Confederate supply line.
The book will be a 9-inch-by-12-inch hardcover that contains hundreds of photos highlighting the village’s history. Those who wish to pre-order the book can do so at M.T. Publishing’s website, mtpublishing.com. Search for “Christiansburg, Ohio” in the search field. In addition, the committee will be mailing order forms to residents of Christiansburg, St. Paris, Conover and other communities.
The book costs $37.50 for the pre-order, and buyers can personalize the book with a name stamping for an additional $7. The proceeds will help fund other bicentennial events.
The book will include information on the community’s earliest days, such as the following:
• In 1817, Joshua Howell settled on a farm and became the first resident of Christiansburg.
• In 1830, William McCrea built the first frame house, which became the general store and living quarters.
• The village was incorporated in 1835, but the charter was surrendered less than a year later because the community was unable to support a municipality.
• The community’s name was changed to Addison in 1842, but the post office retained the Christiansburg name.
• In 1915, the community again was incorporated and the name officially changed back to Christiansburg.
Welty hopes that the book will be finished by early October so that it can be picked up locally during Christiansburg’s Oct. 6-8 events. According to the event’s flyer, activities will include an art auction, quilt show, history museum, games, 1800’s encampment, craft vendors, food truck rally, parade, corn hole competition, ice cream social and music.
The book is a collaboration of the Bicentennial Book Committee and many Christiansburg residents and former residents. To contribute or for more information, contact the Bicentennial Committee at (937) 857-9620 or (937) 857-9655. Additionally, reach the committee through the public Facebook page titled “Christiansburg Bicentennial Committee.”
Shane Black is a regular contributor to the Urbana Daily Citizen.