Tipp man serves jail time for standoff

By Melanie Yingst - myingst@civitsamedia.com

MIAMI COUNTY — On Monday, Miami County Common Pleas Court Judge Jeannine Pratt sentenced a Tipp City man to serve 60 days in jail and placed him on community control after he pointed a rifle at officers during a standoff at his apartment.

Tyler Horn, 21, of Tipp City, was charged with fifth degree aggravated menacing following the incident in January.

Judge Pratt said she “really struggled with this case” noting Horn’s struggles with mental health issues and lack of criminal record. Judge Pratt sentenced Horn to serve jail time stating, “if you point a gun at an officer, you spend time in jail.”

“You turned on them and they tried to help you,” she said.

Horn had no comment prior to the sentencing hearing. The pre-sentence investigation found Horn expressed no genuine remorse.

Horn was also sentenced to serve 50 hours of community service, complete a mental health assessment, continue intensive out-patient treatment, continue his medication and maintain full-time employment. Horn received 22 days of jail time credit. If he violates any of his community control conditions, Judge Pratt reserved 12 months in prison.

The gun involved in the incident was forfeited as part of conditions negotiated in Miami County Municipal Court.

Police were called to an apartment in the 100 block of Maynard Drive around 10:30 p.m. Jan. 19 to check on a resident who was reported to be suicidal, later identified as Horn.

According to Tipp City police, a friend reported that Horn was threatening to overdose on medication. When police arrived, Horn was barricaded inside the apartment alone and armed with a rifle.

SWAT officers and a hostage negotiator were called to the scene. Residents of other apartments were evacuated as a precaution.

Officers entered the apartment and instructed Horn to show himself. According to police reports, Horn leveled a rifle at officers, who warned him to put the gun down or he would be shot. Horn allegedly stated, “That’s what I want anyways.”

After negotiating with officers, Horn surrendered nearly two hours later around 12:30 a.m. and was taken into custody without incident.

Horn was transported to Upper Valley Medical Center for medical evaluation, before being taken to the Miami County Jail.


By Melanie Yingst


Follow Melanie Yingst on Twitter @Troydailynews

Follow Melanie Yingst on Twitter @Troydailynews