For the Troy Daily News
CASSTOWN — The Miami East-MVCTC FFA Chapter recently held its 58th Annual Parent Member Banquet. Over 300 parents, members, and guests were attendance at Miami East High School Gymnasium.
Highlights of the evening were:
• In 2016, the chapter was ranked in the Top 10 out of 315 chapters in the National Chapter Application. Also we placed in the Top 10 Chapter in the areas of Student Development, Chapter Development and Community Development. The application was then sent on for national judging and was named a 3-Star National Chapter at the National FFA Convention.
• The chapter just learned that the chapter is, again a Top 10 Chapter in the state and a Top 10 in all three areas of the National Chapter Application. Interviews will be held at the upcoming State FF Convention.
• Jessica Gillum and Kylie Blair competed in the 2016 National Agriscience Fair with their research project. They placed 6th in the nation.
• This year, three officers, Alyssa Westgerdes, Alex DiNardo, and Carly Gump, submitted Officer Books for review at the District Evaluations. All three earned a gold rating. They will be further recognized at the 2017 State FFA Convention.
• Graduate Katie Bendickson will compete and be recognized as a Top 4 in the Agricultural Sales-Entrepreneurship Proficiency Award at the approaching State Convention.
Chapter FFA degree recipients
FFA members are given the opportunity to earn four degrees during their membership in the organization. The first is the Greenhand Degree represented by a bronze pin. Students were recognized who have reached the second degree presented — the Chapter FFA Degree.
Twenty-nine candidates met the minimum qualifications for this degree and were in attendance at the banquet to receive recognition. The candidates were Liza Bair, Dakota Bashore, Kylie Blair, Jakob Brunke, Bailey Buck, Keagan Carsey, Jessica Copeland, Monet Desautels, Kyle Elifritz, Jessica Gillum, Brennon Green, Kaitlyn Hawes, Ashley Hawkins, Tyler Heckman, Brookelyn Hermann, Devin Karnehm, Abbey Koontz, Zach Kowalak, Maci Krites, Zach Kronenberger, Lane Mergler, Michael Miller, Morgan Moreland, Cody Niswonger, Lance Rohrbach, Kyle Sturgill, Emily Swindell, Seth Teeters, and Alex Zapadka.
Honorary Chapter FFA degree
One of the premier goals of the FFA is to promote leadership among its students. The Miami East-MVCTC FFA Chapter would not be able to do special projects without some very special people. There were two individuals recognized with the Honorary Chapter FFA degree because of their continuous support of the FFA — Mr. Mark Bodenmiller and Mrs. Barb Coffing.
Proficiency awards are designed to recognize the efforts of members who have outstanding Supervised Agricultural Experience programs and have kept accurate records. Winners of the 2017 Chapter Proficiency Awards were: Agricultural Sales – Liza Bair, Agricultural Research Integrated – Kylie Blair, Agricultural Services – Kylie Blair, Agriculture Mechanics Design and Fabrication – Maci Krites, Floriculture – Emma Linn, Outdoor Recreation – Lane Mergler, Specialty Crop – Alyssa Westgerdes, Specialty Crop – Emily Thimmes, and Swine Production – Dylan Hahn.
Quality Supervised Agriculture Experience Programs are based on accurate record keeping and perfected record books. Students with outstanding record books in each of the classes were Freshman – Chloee Thomas, Sophomore – Liza Bair, Junior – Alex DiNardo and Senior – Alyssa Westgerdes.
High scholastics are an important part of each high school student’s life. Results of the students with the highest academic records in their entire high school career include Agriculture, Food, & Natural Resources – Korey Lauck, Plant and Animal Science – Maci Krites, Business Management – Junior – Emily Thimmes, and Business Management – Senior – Katie Bodenmiller.
Alyssa Westgerdes, Kearsten Kirby, Kaitlyn Hawes, Dakota Bashore, and Kylie Blair were recognized for selling over $1,000.00 worth of fruit during the chapter’s fruit sales. Alyssa Westgerdes was the highest selling fruit sales person.
State FFA degree recipients
The State FFA Degree is the highest degree received in the state. About 2% of the state’s FFA membership earns their State Degree. In May five members of the FFA Chapter will receive the State FFA Degree. Katie Bodenmiller, Alex DiNardo, Carly Gump, and Alyssa Westgerdes were recognized.
American FFA degree recipients
The American FFA Degree is the highest degree for a member to receive in the National FFA Organization. This degree will be bestowed upon four members at the upcoming National FFA Convention. Graduates Emily Beal, Daniel Everett, Stephanie Millhouse, Levi Reid and Hunter Sharp will receive their degree in October in Indianapolis.
Additional Chapter Awards were Star Greenhand to Michael Bair, Blue and Gold Spirit Award was Carly Gump, Excellence in Agriculture Award was Katie Bodenmiller, Star Chapter in Agribusiness was Alyssa Westgerdes, Star Placement was Weston Hodge, and the Star Chapter Leader was Emma Linn.
Chapter officers installed
The 2017-18 Miami East-MVCTC FFA Chapter Officers were installed. They are as follows: Historian – Kearsten Kirby, Chaplain Dylan Hahn, Sentinel Emma Younce, Student Advisor Alex DiNardo, Reporter Rachael Hodge, Treasurer Alex Isbrandt, Secretary Liza Bair, Vice President Emily Thimmes, and President Kylie Blair.