MIAMI COUNTY — Miami County’s students turned trash into treasures with the annual Miami County Solid Waste District’s Christmas ornament challenge.
The annual contest asks students to create Christmas ornaments using recyclable material. This year, 165 students in grades K-8 submitted ornaments made of recyclable materials.
This year’s crop of ornaments included flowers cut from paper towel tubes, a lightbulb penguin and snowmen made of cans, bottles and bottle caps.
Lauren Karch, solid waste coordinator, traveled around to local schools to congratulate winners. Last week, she presented Cookson Elementary School’s winners with certificates and prizes for their artwork.
Shelley Stewart, third-grade teacher, said the annual contest ties into her classroom’s lesson plans on recycling each year.
“Every year we look forward to seeing what students create each year,” Karch said.
The ornaments decorate the station’s office and county commissioners’ office each year.
“It was fun to see what we could make out of trash,” said Micah Pyles-Dodds, who knew his audience, sculling a recycling bin out of a plastic carton.
Mitchell Sargent spoke to the judges’ sweet tooth with his cardboard and foam s’mores.
The winners were as follows:
1. Brady Tinnerman, Grade 2 Milton-Union, Mrs. Renegar’s class.
2. Kayden Jenkins, Grade 1 Cookson, Mrs. Grissom’s class.
3. Sam Milnickel, Grade 2 Milton-Union, Mrs. Renegar’s class.
Brayden Wayne, Grade 3, for a plastic bottle penguin Miami East Elementary, Mrs. McCuiston’s class.
Micah Pyles-Dodds, Grade 3, for a recycled recycling bin Cookson Elementary, Ms. Stewart’s class.
Mitchell Sargent, Grade 3 ,for a cardboard double-decker s’more Cookson Elementary, Ms. Stewart’s class.
Maci Manns, Grade 3, for a plastic bottle reindeer Miami East Elementary, Mrs. McCuiston’s class.
Emma Anderson, Grade 3, for a pop tab wreath Miami East Elementary, Mrs. Fields’ class.
Gracen Fox, Grade 3, for tree made from cardboard puzzle pieces Heywood Elementary, Mrs. Gearhardt’s class.
1. Sophia Matthies, Grade 7, for a recycled owl, Troy Junior High School, Mr. Wick’s class.
2. Lauren York, Grade 6, for a metal wire Christmas tree, Covington Elementary, Mrs. Eilerman’s class.
3. Abbey Garman, Grade 6 for a tin can luminary, Covington Elementary, Mrs. Eilerman’s class.