Overdose reported at Troy McDonalds

Police charge 22-year-old female

By Melanie Yingst - myingst@civitasmedia.com

TROY — The Troy Police Department has charged one female with drug possession and one count of drug abuse instruments after she allegedly overdosed on heroin in the Troy McDonald’s bathroom on June 3.

According to the report, an officer responded to the West Main Street McDonald’s at 8:20 p.m. on a report of an apparent heroin overdose. The officer found Katy Bynum, 22, of Troy, unconscious on the floor as her 27-year-old boyfriend performed CPR on Bynum.

Troy Fire Department paramedics distributed Narcan, and several minutes later, Bynum became responsive. Officers located a syringe in the toilet, and beside the toilet was an open bottle of water. The bottle cap was laying beside it, with a small filter sitting in it. The syringe, the bottle cap with the filter, and the string that had been tied around Bynum’s right arm were all collected and logged into evidence.

Officers questioned Bynum’s boyfriend who stated Bynum had been in the bathroom for nearly 20 minutes. He went in to check on her and found her unresponsive and began CPR. The boyfriend also stated he and Bynum were former heroin users, however, they had been clean for almost three months.

The officer went to Upper Valley Medical Center where Bynum admitted to using one cap of heroin in the bathroom. Bynum stated she purchased one cap of heroin that morning, and that’s all she had taken. Bynum said she purchased the cap in Troy, however, refused to tell me who she purchased it from.

Bynum was charged with one count of drug abuse instruments and one count of drug possession. The syringe was been sent to Dayton Crime Lab for testing.

Police charge 22-year-old female

By Melanie Yingst