The local SYNERGY HomeCare team is raising money for Alzheimer’s disease one “Senior Selfie” at a time. Here’s the best part; No one has to crack open their wallet to join in — they just have to crack a smile.
Throughout the month of July and August, the in-home care franchise organization is asking anyone 65 and up to turn the camera on themselves and say cheese. In return for the free smile, SYNERGY HomeCare will donate $5 for every Senior Selfie posted to the company’s Facebook page. They’re even planning a Senior Selfie party for local seniors to teach them the trendy technique.
Seniors posted more than 500 selfies last year and SYNERGY HomeCare donated $50,000 to the Alzheimer’s Association. This year, the goal is to have 1,000 Senior Selfies and raise even more money. Seniors are encouraged to use the (hashtag)#SeniorSelfie when posting.
Getting involved is a snap!
• Selfies must be of a senior (age 65 and up)
• All Senior Selfies must be posted to the National SYNERGY HomeCare Facebook page with the #SeniorSelfie.
• If a senior does not have access to Facebook — family members are encouraged to help them take a selfie and post on their behalf.
• Family and friends can be in the picture with the senior, too.
In the late stages of Alzheimer’s disease, people lose the ability to smile. SYNERGY HomeCare not only wants to save their smiles but their memories by raising awareness and money for continued research into this growing epidemic.
According to the Alzheimer’s Association:
• Someone develops Alzheimer’s every 66 seconds in the United States.
• Alzheimer’s disease is the nation’s sixth-leading cause of death.
• More than 5 million Americans are living with the disease.
• There are more than 15.9 million caregivers of people with Alzheimer’s and other dementias in the United States.