NEW ORLEANS – The University of Dayton women’s cross country team, including former Russia standout Emily Borchers, continues to be ranked in the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) NCAA Division I Women’s Regional Cross Country Great Lakes Rankings. The Flyers have been in the poll for five consecutive rankings.
Dayton dropped one spot to No. 11 despite winning the 2017 Atlantic 10 Championship Oct. 28 in Leesburg, Va.
“The women’s team is feeling confident following our conference championship,” said Dayton Head Coach Jason Ordway. “Everyone is feeling good and really coming on at the right time like we planned. We’re looking forward to racing at Terre Haute when everyone will be in the line at the same time, and we can see where we really stand.”
The Flyers’ highest ranking was No. 7 in the week three poll in 2011.
Dayton has had many highlights thus far this season:
• Four Flyers earned A-10 All-Conference honors: Taylor Vernot, Emily Leonard, Chloe Flora, and Emily Borchers.
• Vernot broke the Flyer record in the 6K with her time of 20:47.1 at the 2017 NCAA Pre-National Invitational on Oct. 14.
• Dayton won the 2017 All-Ohio Championship on Sept. 29. The Flyers swept the top three spots in the NCAA Division I race and also had runners finish sixth and seventh for a team score of 19.
• The Flyers were runners-up at the National Catholic Invitational on Sept. 15. UD finished
• second, just nine points behind (43-34) host Notre Dame, currently ranked No. 9 in the Great Lakes Region and ranked No. 9 nationally at the time of the race. The Flyers defeated Marquette, currently ranked No. 13 in the Great Lakes Region.
• Dayton also won the Queen City Invitational hosted by Xavier on Sept. 2. The Flyers had 19 points compared to second-place Xavier’s 50 points. The Musketeers are ranked No. 14 in this week’s Great Lakes Region.
Dayton is coming off winning the 2017 All-Atlantic 10 Championship.
Five Flyers finished in the Top 20, paced by junior Taylor Vernot, who finished third in 17:53.9; she was the top finisher for all juniors.
Senior Emily Leonard was fourth in 17:56.9. Chloe Flora was the top sophomore finisher in the race, taking sixth place in 18:04.2, while junior Emily Borchers was ninth in a time of 18:14.9. They all four earned A-10 All-Conference honors.
“Taylor Vernot, Chloe Flora, and Emily Leonard ran really well up in the front,” Ordway said. “They got out very smart in the race and were able to seal up All-Conference honors. Emily Borchers ran an incredible race. She was smart, moved up in the race, and passed people when she needed to.”
The Flyers will compete at the NCAA Great Lakes Regional Friday at the Lavern Gibson Championship Course in Terre Haute, Ind.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU