Last updated: July 22. 2014 8:23PM - 91 Views
Jennifer Runyon

Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

In my last column I wrote about my upcoming eye surgery. That has come and went so I thought I’d give an update. My surgery, a cornea transplant, was done July 10. To help the cornea attach, an air bubble was placed in my eye. I then had to lie flat for 24 hours. I went back for my post-op appointment the next day and the cornea was not attached. You see, I have two tubes in my eye to drain pressure. The air from the bubble escapes through these tubes before the cornea can attach. At my post–op appointment, the doctor had to put another air bubble in. He stuck a needle in my eye, moved it around and inserted the air. He then took the side of the needle and rubbed my eye to help fluid move out of the way. Yes, it is as excruciating as it sounds!

I then had to lie flat in his office for two hours. When he came back after the time had passed, I had already lost 40 percent of the bubble. Boy was that discouraging! I then had to lie flat for 24 hours again. My head hurt so badly from lying flat and my neck wasn’t feeling too great either.

Before we left the appointment, I asked the doctor when I would have vision in the eye. He told me whenever the cornea attaches and that I would know before he does. Well, at the end of the 24 hours, I could see nothing. I felt like I was fighting an uphill battle! I went to church on Sunday. Many, many people were praying for me. I spent lots of time in prayer and heard the perfect song at just the right time. Eventually, I did find comfort and acceptance, but my vision was still bad.

I went back for my one-week post op appointment last Thursday excepting to go through the torture of getting another bubble. I had made arrangements for my duties to be taken care of at work and home because I thought I’d be down for 24 hours. I was so extremely thrilled to hear the doctor say, “It’s attached!” Oh my goodness! You talk about relieved!

This did bring up a question though, if the cornea is attached, why couldn’t I see? The answer is this: When the doctor did the surgery, there were pieces of my original iris in there so he scraped them off. With me lying flat, the blood ran back behind my cornea. He said it will eventually take care of itself. What good news to hear! I was bouncing of the walls the rest of the day.

I was determined that I was going to keep my blood sugars in line throughout the healing process following surgery. My body had other ideas. They haven’t been horrible, but they haven’t been great either. I want them to be great! I’m making some changes and trying some new techniques. I’ll share about these in my next column when I can hopefully report that they are working wonderfully and I’m seeing just fine out of my left eye.

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Piqua Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com