BRADFORD — These are the upcoming activities for all ages in the Bradford Public Library’s summer reading program, “Fizz, Boom … Read!” Remember Preschool Story Time on Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to noon. The summer sessions are open to children who have finished kindergarten. They also have stories and activities that work with science, technology, engineering and/or math (STEM).
Also coming up:
• Today – Movie Monday and Bingo from 2-4:30 p.m. All ages.
• Tuesday – Thanks to the sponsorship of Stillwater Campground, there will be a free swimming day from 1–5 p.m. for any child registered in library’s summer reading program. We suggest that all children through grade 2 be accompanied by an adult. There will be library staff at this event.
• Thursday – Field trip for students going into grades 3-5 to the Cincinnati Museum Center and an IMAX presentation on the “Hidden Universe.” Permission forms are now available at the library. The students will be going by school bus with a CDL-licensed driver.
• Thursday – Library lab for students going into grades 6-12. The workshop is from 2-3:30 p.m. and is a STEM activity called “Periscopes & Mazes.”
• Saturday – We have a very special presentation for all ages called “Drum Circle.” Russ Welker will be at the Y-Yard from 1-3:00 p.m. with a variety of drums. Everyone will participate with varying rhythms and percussion sounds, and Welker will get you up and moving. This is very special and we expect a big crowd. Be at the Y-Yard park shelter about 10 minutes before the activity begins.
• Monday, July 21 – Movie Monday & Bingo from 2-4:30 p.m. All ages.
• Tuesday, July 22 – Field trip for students in grade 6 and up to the United States Air Force Museum. Permission forms are now available at the library. One of the highlights will be an honest to goodness Scavenger Hunt at the museum. The students will be going by school bus with a CDL-licensed driver.
• Thursday, July 24 – Library Lab for students going into grades 6-12. The workshop is from 2-3:30 p.m. and is a STEM activity called “Weights, Measures … FOOD.” They won’t want to miss this one because “eating” is part of the activity.
Ginger Godfrey’s Artistic Painting Day
Local Artist Ginger Godfrey will again be presenting a Bob Ross artistic painting class from 10 a.m. To 3 p.m. Wednesday, July 30. Godfrey is certified in this special way of painting and all participants will take home their own painting. Lunch and snacks will be served. There is a maximum of eight people in the class with a fee for instruction and supplies of $45 per person, payable in advance to: Ginger Godfrey. Come to the Bradford Public Library to get your name on the list.
NASA Moon Rocks and Meteorites
Real moon rocks and meteorites are on loan from NASA. Naturalist John DeBoer from the Miami County Park District has been trained by NASA to present this very special collection for kids of all ages – preschool through great-great-great grandparents. Bradford Public Library’s special meteorite program will be on Tuesday, July 29, from 2- 4 p.m. at the library. Special hands-on activities, such as making one’s own meteor, will be highlighted.
Annual Fishing Derby
Bradford Public Library is again pleased to be a part of the Annual Fishing Derby at Stillwater Prairie, also sponsored by Stillwater Bass Club and the Miami County Park District. The date is Saturday, Aug. 2, with sign-ups beginning at 10 a.m. at Stillwater Prairie. This is also BPL’s final awards program for “Fizz, Boom … READ” participants. An outdoor lunch will be provided for everyone.
Board of Trustees
Bradford Public Library Board of Trustee Meetings will take place during July and August on the fourth Monday of the month at 5:30 p.m. This is a change from the normal regularly scheduled date of the third Tuesday of every month at 5:30 p.m. The public is welcome to attend.
More in store
Bradford Public Library will be planning several activities in September for the adults, including such as jewelry-making, Internet and Mouse 101, Google Apps (e-mail and calendar), in addition to Digital Day, which is the last Monday of the month. We also will also be posting your crafty and photographic pin-ups on our website and bulletin board. We will keep you posted. BPL is always ready for new suggestions on different topics and workshops. Give us a call at (937) 448-2612.
Bradford Public Library is located at 138 E. Main St., Bradford. Hours are 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday; 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday; 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday; and 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday.