PIQUA — Five exemplary individuals were honored with the 2015 Pride of Workmanship awards by the Piqua Rotary Club at a recent meeting at Edison Community College. Chairperson Randi Pearson indicated this year’s recipients have a combined 125 years of service “to their students, customers and their community“.
Since 1999, Pearson explained 80 individuals have received the Pride of Workmanship awards representing a wide range of vocations ranging from law enforcement, construction, automobile service and retail sales to hair styling, education, health care, travel, media and social services. Award recipients are nominated by Piqua Rotarians based upon their approach, attitude, dedication and commitment to his/her profession.
“Pride of Workmanship is not a competition buy rather it is a recognition of individual achievement and commitment,” explained Pearson. “The theme that has become the motto of this award is ‘Do it once, do it well, build a better Piqua‘”.
This year’s winners and nominators include the following:
• Bob Jones of Dick’s Paint and Body Shop and nominated by Pearson who indicated Jones has been in the auto collision repair business for 35 years;
• Julie Slattery, an administrative assistant at Edison Community College, nominated by Cheryl Stiefel-Francis;
• Cindy Dobo, owner of Dobo’s Delights Bake Shoppe, who “started her bakery from home while in the seventh grade”, according to nominator Sharon Semanie;
• Sister Mary Alice Haithcoat, SC, educator and former principal at Piqua Catholic Schools, nominated by Father Thomas Bolte, pastor at St. Mary and St. Boniface parishes; and
• Ruben Pelayo of El Sombrero Restaurant, who started his restaurant in Piqua 18 years ago after a fire temporarily closed his former location, also nominated by Stiefel Francis.
During the noon Rotary luncheon, Pearson extended a heartfelt thanks to all award winners and noted “You can be proud that you have been singled out by an employer, a client, a fellow employee or a customer for your outstanding approach, attitude, dedication and commitment to your job. You have received this award because your pride of workmanship has helped to make Piqua a better place to live.”
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU