Gas leak forces evacuations


Mike Ullery

mullery@aimmedianetwork.com

PIQUA — A natural gas leak caused headaches for some Piqua residents on Sunday.

Chief Brent Pohlschneider of the Piqua Fire Department said that a contractor hit a “medium pressure” gas line while working in the area of 524 S. Wayne St. just after 10:30 a.m.

Pohlschneider said the that it was an approximately 60 p.s.i. line and the sound of escaping gas could be heard a couple ofo blocks away.

The fire department responded and evacuated residences on both sides of the 500 block of South Wayne Street for a block in each direction.

Vectren was called to the scene to make repairs.

The fire department was on the scene for just over three hours, clearing the scene around 2 p.m.

There were no injuries and everyone is now back in their homes.

http://www.dailycall.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/30/2015/10/web1_blackbgpdc4.jpg

Reach Mike Ullery at (937) 451-3335.

Reach Mike Ullery at (937) 451-3335.