PIQUA — On Saturday, Dec. 9, the William Scott House, located at 324 W. Ash St., will be included on a tour of seven historic homes located within the Piqua-Caldwell Historic District. The owner of the home, which was built in 1853, is Chad Spruance.
The tour, explained committee member Don Smith, is being organized to highlight homes within the district that have particular significance in Piqua’s history. The district, he said, is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and encompasses areas on North Main Street, Wayne Street, Downing Street and West Ash Street.
Proceeds from the tour will be earmarked for signage identifying a number of the historic homes to include both the name of the original owner and date the house was built.
The tour will be held from 5-8 p.m. with tickets, with tickets at $20 per person now available at Mainstreet Piqua, Readmore’s Hallmark and the Allisten Manor’s Flower Box. Light refreshments will be provided at each of the homes on the tour.
The William Scott House was built on what was the original site of the homestead of Matthew and Harrier Caldwell Jr. William Scott purchased the property in 1851 and razed the Caldwell home to build the Italianate structure seen today,
The house is in excess of 7,500 square feet of living space that includes seven bedrooms and four-and-a-half bathrooms. Built with entertaining, comfort and beauty in mind, this house includes a large formal entry, formal dining room, parlor, eight fireplaces and many examples of intricate stained glass throughout the home. Much of its beautiful original woodwork remains today and is in excellent condition.
One of the most recognizable features of this structure is the porte-cochere (covered carriage porch). The original stables still remain and serve as the home’s garage. In 1888, the large porch was added to the original home, making it the inviting homestead it is today.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU