Commission to vote on property purchases


Roundabout, riverfront redevelopment to be discussed

By Sam Wildow - swildow@dailycall.com



PIQUA — The roundabout project for the intersection of Garbry and Looney roads is coming back before the Piqua City Commission during their meeting on Tuesday evening.

The city is requesting authorization to acquire a portion of the property and easements on the site located at the northwest corner of the intersection of Garbry and Looney roads. Buckeye State Mutual Insurance Company currently owns the property. The cost for the portion of that property and the easements is not to exceed $19,635.

The commission will also be considering the purchase of Bayman’s Auto Sales, 201 Spring St., as it has been identified as a redevelopment opportunity. The purchase would be an initiative for the city’s Riverfront Redevelopment Plan and the Piqua Placemaking Initiative. The cost is $250,000.

Also, the commission will be voting on whether to support and participate in the Troy-Sidney Road berm stabilization and overlay project with the Miami County Engineer’s Office. The project will include the widening of the pavement by four feet on each side of the roadway, improving the turning radius at the northwest corner of the Troy-Sidney Road and Statler Road intersection, and an asphalt overlay of the entire project, according to the resolution.

The total cost for the project is estimated at $368,827. Grant funding from the Ohio Public Works Commission (OPWC) has been requested and would fund 80 percent of the project, leaving the remaining local share of 20 percent estimated at $73,272.

The city of Piqua would pay for 20 percent of that local share at approximately $14,700.

Later, the commission will vote on purchasing liability insurance for the city’s combustion turbines. The city is requesting to purchase coverage from Chubb, the lowest quote received. The amount is not to exceed $92,406.

Following that resolution, the commission will vote on authorizing the city manager to apply for federal Fast Act funds through the Miami Valley Regional Planning Commission. The following projects will be submitted to MVRPC as the city’s priority projects:

• Looney Road resurfacing project, local match of $270,000, which would consist of milling and overlaying the roadway from County Road 25-A to East Ash Street with a new asphalt surface

• Great Miami River trail bridge project, local match of $332,000, which would construct a new multi-use path bridge crossing the Great Miami River west of the parking lot at Goodrich Giles Park

• Ohio to Indiana trail bridge project, local match of $1,131,761, which would replace the existing wood decking and vertical rail support system with a new concrete deck and new railing

Next on the agenda, the commission will vote on entering into a five-year contract with Evans, Mechart, Hambelton, & Tilton, Inc. for a full-scale utility geographical information system (GIS) implementation to map city utilities for the Underground Utilities Department. The total cost is not to exceed $765,450, which includes a 5 percent contingency.

This commission meeting will be held Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. in the municipal building, located at 201 W. Water St.

Roundabout, riverfront redevelopment to be discussed

By Sam Wildow

swildow@dailycall.com

Reach Sam Wildow at swildow@dailycall.com or (937) 451-3336

Reach Sam Wildow at swildow@dailycall.com or (937) 451-3336