TROY — Troy Police Department has recorded five overdoses, including two apparent overdose deaths, this week.
According to Capt. Joe Long, Danille Saunders, 32, of Troy, was pronounced dead at the home in the 2700 block of Huntington Drive around 5 p.m. Thursday. Her body was transported to the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office for an autopsy. Saunders had been previously charged with possession of drugs on Jan. 11.
Three children, ages 4, 6 and 11, were home at the time of the incident. Miami County Children’s Services was contacted and the children were placed in the custody of a family member.
Her husband, Brian Saunders, 34, of Troy, was arrested and charged with misdemeanor child endangering and possession of drug paraphernalia. He was arraigned on the charges Friday and released on bond. A pre-trial conference was set for June 29 with Judge Gary Nasal presiding.
According to Capt. Long, Harry Jones, 53, of the 1400 block of Henley Road, was found deceased on Monday. Evidence at the scene indicates an apparent overdose.
On May 12, an East Liverpool police officer overdosed after coming into contact with fentanyl after some of the residue got on his uniform following a drug bust. The officer brushed the powder off his uniform and either accidentally inhaled particles of the fentanyl or it absorbed into his skin on his hand. He accidentally overdosed an hour later. He was treated and released.
Capt. Joe Long said Troy officers are instructed to wear gloves to conduct searches and carry masks.
Updates and advisory emails from the Attorney General have stressed the dangers of coming into contact with the drugs out in the community. Fentanyl is 50 to 100 times more potent than heroin and a quarter of a milligram, a few granules, can be deadly. It can be inhaled and absorbed through the skin. The East Liverpool officer had used gloves during the traffic stop, but as he brushed off the residue from his uniform later, the contact with the drug caused the overdose.
The provided photo shows the amount of the opiates it takes for an overdose. The Attorney General advised that Carfentanil is so potent that it landed two first responders in the hospital from inhaling dust while closing a Ziploc bag a patient had. The advisory also warned first responders to “expect people who overdose to take 10 doses or more of Narcan to start breathing again.”
Follow Melanie Yingst on Twitter @Troydailynews
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU