PIQUA — Visitors to Piqua’s east side may have noticed the absence of a restaurant under the “Golden Arches.”
The Scott Family McDonald’s on East Ash Street has been razed in order to make room for a new state-of-the-art McDonald’s restaurant.
Benny Scott, Jr., owner of Scott Family McDonald’s, which operates restaurants in Piqua, Troy, Sidney, Tipp City, Greenville, Fairborn, and Huber Heights, said, “The opportunity to rebuild our Piqua East McDonald’s really helps us stay relevant to our guests.”
The new location will offer a new contemporary building design as well as new seating and decor.
“We see great advantages to moving the building, allowing a double drive-thru to be more efficient and move cars away from the mall access road,” said Scott. “We will be adding an additional 20-plus crew and managers to the team, offering them great futures with us. Benefits will include a high school diploma program and college tuition reimbursement. The new Scott Family McDonald’s is modern and progressive and I am excited to building it right here in my hometown of Piqua.”
The first Piqua McDonald’s opened on July 1, 1973, and was located across from the former Piqua East Mall. Ben Scott Sr. purchased the store in January of 1974. Scott added a second Piqua location on the west side of Piqua in 1981.
The original McDonald’s operated until December of 1993, when the decision was made to move the east location to its current site in front of the Miami Valley Centre Mall. The location opened on Dec. 8, 1993. It operated in that location until demolition began on April 27.
The newest Piqua McDonald’s is expected to open in late July.
Among the amenities to be offered at the new location:
– A new side-by-side double drive-through
– A third drive-through window to present orders
– A beverage and dessert center
– Kitchen area to accommodate all-day breakfast
– Modular front counter area
– Upgraded contemporary seating and decor
– Technology enhancements including USB charging outlets and higher bandwidth for WiFi, digital menu boards and TV in the dining area
– Technology advancements for McDonald’s team members, including mobile training components, upgraded drive-through communications, and the most up-to-date equipment behind the counter
– Incredible utility efficiency, including LED lighting inside and out, super-efficient fryers and refrigeration units, “green” HVAC and exhaust units with automated controls allowing for reduced demand and usage.
Reach Mike Ullery at (937) 451-3335.