• RUMMAGE SALE: St. John’s United Church of Christ, 130 S. Walnut St., Troy, will offer a rummage sale from 4-8 p.m., from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday and 9 a.m. to noon Saturday.
• JEDI TRAINING: The Oakes-Beitman Memorial Library will offer a Jedi training program at 6 p.m. This event includes story time with a special guest, crafts and fun activities inspired by favorite “Star Wars” characters. Costumes are encouraged, but not required for this family-friendly evening. For more information, call 676-271.
• BLOOD DRIVE: Piqua Baptist Church will show support for May Military Appreciation Month with a community blood drive from 2:30-6:30 p.m. in the gym, 1402 West High St. Everyone who registers to donate will receive the Community Blood Center “Military Appreciation Month Blood Donor” T-shirt. Donors are encouraged to schedule an appointment online at www.DonorTime.com or call (800) 388-GIVE.
• BOOK SALE: The Friends of the Troy-Miami County Public Library will offer a members-only preview night from 6-8 p.m. of their their semi-annual book sale at the Miami County Fairgrounds, 650 N. County Road 25-A, Troy. New memberships may be purchased that evening. For more information, call (937) 339-0502 or go to www.troypubliclibrary.org.
• PIZZA BURGERS: Pizza burgers will be served beginning at 6 p.m. for $5, and Euchre at 7 p.m. for $5 at the Tipp City American Legion Post 586.
• HEALTH TREKKERS: The Miami County Park District will hold its Health Trekkers program from 10-11 a.m. at Maple Ridge Reserve, 10430 State Route 185, north of Covington. Take a hike for health and join park district health and wellness specialist, registered nurse Marion for this weekly low impact walk held each Thursday morning. Relevant topics such as heart health, diet and nutrition, diabetes prevention, stress relief and many others will be discussed during this walking series. Remember to wear weather appropriate gear and walking shoes for comfort. Registration not required but highly recommended. Register for the program by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, emailing email@example.com or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109.
• LUNCHEON: The Tipp City Seniors members and guests have a carry-in luncheon at noon at 320 S. First St., Tipp City.
• HOTSHOTS: American Legion Post 43 will be serving open-faced beef hotshots “Manhattan style,” with mashed potatoes, green beans, and dessert will be offer from 5-7:30 p.m. for $9.
• BOOK SALE: The Friends of the Troy-Miami County Public Library will sponsor their semi-annual book sale through Sunday at the Miami County Fairgrounds, 650 N. County Road 25-A, Troy. Sale times are 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. A selection of books, puzzles, DVDs, special titles and old books are available with prices starting at 25 cents. Sunday is $1 per bag of books and all specials are half price. All proceeds will be used for the Summer Reading Club, literacy efforts and special purchases for the library. For more information, call (937) 339-0502 or go to www.troypubliclibrary.org.
• RUMMAGE SALE: St. John’s United Church of Christ, 130 S. Walnut St., Troy, will offer a rummage sale from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. today and 9 a.m. to noon Saturday.
• CHICKEN FRY: A three-piece chicken dinner with french fries and macaroni salad will be offered for $8 and up from 6- 7:30 p.m. Chicken livers also are available.
• BURGERS: Bacon burgers will be served beginning at 6 p.m. at the Troy Fish & Game.
• FISH AND CHICKEN: Fish and/or chicken tenders, french fries, hush puppies, coleslaw and dessert will be offered at the Tipp City American Legion Post 586. Serving begins at 6 p.m. for $8.
• EMPLOYMENT WORKSHOP: Goodwill Easter Seals will be hosting an employment workshop in the multi-purpose room at the Milton-Union Public Library from 2-3 p.m. This program is a great opportunity for teens looking for a summer job or adults looking for career opportunities.
• OWLS & HOWLS: The Miami County Park District will hold an Owls & Howls Hike from 8:30-10:30 p.m. at Maple Ridge Reserve, 10430 State Route 185, north of Covington. Join park district naturalist Accipiter Amalee as we try to call two species rarely seen by humans, an owl and coyote. Learn about these mysterious creatures as while on a leisurely hike by the light of the moon. Register for the program by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109.
• SPAGHETTI DINNER: An all-you-can-eat spaghetti dinner will be offered from 3-7 p.m. at the American Legion Hall, 622 S. Market St., Troy, to benefit Troy Post 43 baseball. Meals will include spaghetti, salad bar, bread, dessert and drinks for $7.75 for adults and $4.50 for children 13 and younger.
• PUNT, PASS, KICK: Troy Football, Lincoln Community Center, and Troy-Miami County Public Library will host this free event at 10 a.m. at Ferguson Field. Includes instruction from Troy Varsity Football players on proper throwing, kicking, and punting mechanics. There will be four age groups for boys and girls, ages 6-7, ages 8-9, ages 10-11, and ages 12-13. Trophies will be awarded for the first three places in each age group. Registration forms will be available and can be turned in at the Troy library or Lincoln Community Center. Visit tmcpl.org for online registration or a printable form. There will be registration the day of event beginning at 9:30 a.m. dependent on participation.
• YOUNG BIRDER’S CLUB: Join Brukner Nature Center’s Young Birders as participants will take the time to enjoy one of the most exciting birding events of the year known around the world as “The Biggest Week in Birding” at Magee Marsh in northern Ohio. This event is highlighted by the small yet brilliantly colored warblers making their way back toward Canada for nesting season. Contact Brian for more information at email@example.com. The Young Birder’s Club is geared for students in grades 6-12 with an interest in birding. Membership in the YBC is $10 per year, plus high quality binoculars and field guides are provided for meetings and field trips, so no additional equipment is needed.
• RUMMAGE SALE: St. John’s United Church of Christ, 130 S. Walnut St., Troy, will offer a rummage sale from 9 a.m. to noon.
• CRAFT SHOW: The West Milton Senior Center and Community Club will host a spring craft show from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at 435 W. Hamilton St., West Milton. There also will be a lunch stand and baked goods sale and door prizes will be awarded hourly. Proceeds will go toward the repair of the roof. For more information, call Carol Garver at (937) 698-7129.
• TENDERLOINS: The Pleasant Hill VFW Post 6557, 7578 W. Fenner Road, Ludlow Falls, will offer grilled or fried tenderloin sandwiches with homemade french fries for $6 from 6-8 p.m.
• DINE TO DONATE: Buffalo Wild Wings will donate 10 percent of the sales of the day, from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m., to support the Troy-Miami County Public Library’s Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library program in Miami County. There will also be games, raffles, and Kentucky Derby activities to participate in at this fundraising event. One of the games, Balls for Books, will feature the opportunity to compete against Troy Football coaches, players and local celebrities. Make sure to attend between 2-5 p.m. to see if you can beat a Trojan. Derby Day contests will begin several hours prior to the 6:30 p.m. race. Tickets can be purchased for raffle giveaways. For more information, call Buffalo Wild Wings at (937) 440-9016, or on the Dolly Parton Imagination Library, call or visit the library at (937) 339-0502.
• STEAK AND CHICKEN: A steak or chicken dinner will be served beginning at 6 p.m. at the Troy Fish & Game. The band Desert Star will perform at 7:30 p.m.
• SHARE A MEAL: Share-A-Meal will be offered from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at First United Church of Christ, 120 S. Market St., Troy. They will be serving macaroni bake, green beans, pie and beverages. Carry-outs will be available at 12:30 p.m., as quantities last. This program is free to anyone wishing to participate and are in need of a warm nourishing meal. Please use the Canal Street entrance where the church is handicapped accessible.
• BIKE SATURDAY: Events will kick off in Troy with the dedication of the Troy Mountain Bike Area and a “Fat Tire” adult relay race (registration is closed) at 12:30 p.m. at Paul G. Duke Park. The mountain bike trail features five courses and has more than 7 miles of trails in and around Duke Park. Officials and cyclists will then ride off to the dedication of a new bicycle station near the Miami Shores golf course. The bike station will serve as a meeting area and repair station for cyclists along the city’s bike path. Events for children, including a helmet giveaway and medical identification medallions, will be held at Treasure Island Park beginning at 1:30 p.m. The Troy Police Department will host a bike safety rodeo and skills program. Scout merit badge can be earned at this event.
• NIGHT AT RACES: St. Patrick Church has a new fundraiser, Night at the Races, starting at 5:30 p.m. with a meal provided by El Sombrero and will be served until 7 p.m. The Kentucky Derby will be shown right before our races begin. For an admission fee of $20, participants will enjoy a Mexican dinner, watch the derby and have a chance to bet on horseraces. There also will be a 50/50 drawing, a silent auction and more. Proceeds from this event will help St. Patrick Parish upgrade their sound system and upkeep at the parish center.
• KARAOKE: Karaoke will begin at 7 p.m. at the Tipp City American Legion Post 586.
• LEGO CLUB: Build with LEGO at the Milton-Union Public Library from 2-3 p.m. Each meeting will have a theme and free style building. All ages are welcome.
• BROWNIE BADGE: The Miami County Park District will offer a “Brownie — Outdoor Adventure Badge” program from noon to 1:30 p.m. at Charleston Falls Preserve, 2535 Ross Road, south of Tipp City. Work towards earning your merit badges. Class fee $3 per scout. Preregistration required. Register for the program by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109.
• BUGS: The Miami County Park District will offer a “Brownie — Bugs” program from 2-3:30 p.m. at Charleston Falls Preserve, 2535 Ross Road, south of Tipp City. Work towards earning your merit badges. Class fee $3 per scout. Preregistration required. Register for the program by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, emailing email@example.com or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109.
• BADGE PROGRAM: The Miami County Park District will offer a “Cadette — Tree” program from 6-8 p.m. at Garbry Big Woods Reserve, 6660 Casstown-Sidney Road, east of Piqua. Work towards earning your merit badges. Class fee $3 per scout. Preregistration required. Register for the program by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109.
• NIGHT OWL: The Miami County Park District will offer a “Cadette – Night Owl” program from 8:30-10:30 p.m. at Garbry Big Woods Reserve, 6660 Casstown-Sidney Road, east of Piqua. Work towards earning your merit badges. Class fee $3 per scout. Preregistration required. Register for the program by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, emailing email@example.com or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109.
• COMIC BOOK: Free Comic Book Day, a national event, will be celebrated at SC Collectibles at the Miami Valley Centre Malll, Piqua.
• WRESTLING: Dynamic Championship Wrestling will begin at 7:30 p.m. at the Miami County Fairgrounds, Troy. A wedding will kick off at 7 p.m. as the doors are opening. Fore more Information or to reserve seats, call the hotline at (937) 640-2691. Admission is $10 for adults and $5 for children.
• WILD ART: Paint a portrait of a ruby-throated hummingbird on a 16-inch-by-20-inch canvas and raise funds for Brukner Nature Center. A naturalist will provide an engaging introduction to the natural history of these beautiful creatures, then Lisa Bauer of the Mayflower Arts Center will guide you as you paint. The fee is $35 per person, ages 13-adult, and includes refreshments and all materials. Call Brukner Nature Center at (937) 698-6493 to pre-register. All proceeds benefit the Brukner Nature Center Wildlife Ambassador program.
• TOAD WORKSHOP: From 2-4 p.m. at Brukner Nature Center, join others for a fun, family-friendly workshop about toads. Join staff as they discuss some cool natural history of the toad and then take our knowledge out on the trails where we will turn logs and search creek beds for the well-camouflaged amphibian. Participants will then return to the building where staff will help you make “houses” for the toads if you want to purchase a kit. BNC Members are free and non-members are $5 per person. Toad house kits are $7.50 each. Call Brukner Nature Center at (937) 698-6493 to pre-register.
• QUARTER AUCTION: A grand band quarter auction to benefit the Troy High School marching band’s trip to London for the New Year’s parade will begin at 2 p.m. in the high school cafeteria. Entry is $2 and quarter tickets will be sold for the auction. Several vendors also will have displays set up.
• BREAKFAST: Breakfast will be offered at the Tipp City American Legion Post 586 from 8-11 a.m. Choose from eggs-your-way, bacon, sausage, toast, biscuits, sausage gravy, pancakes, waffles, french toast, home fries, cinnamon rolls, fruit and juices. Adults $7, children under 10 $3.
• BLUEGRASS: Bluegrass at the Tipp City American Legion Post 586, with Vintage Ramblers, will be offered beginning at 2 p.m. at 377 N. 3rd St., Tipp City. This is an open stage bluegrass jam. Free admission and food and refreshments available.
• QUINTET TO PERFORM: Sunday. May 7, at 2:30 P.M., The Carillon Brass Quintet from the Dayton Philharmonic Orchestra will give a concert at 2:30 p.m. at Tipp City United Methodist Church. This will be with the handbell choir of the church. There will be a free will offering
• BOARD MEETING: The Tipp City Park Advisory Board will meet at 7 p.m. in the Tipp City Government Center, 260 S. Garber Drive, Tipp City.
• WORKSHOP: A free workshop on the Affordable Care Act (ACA) will be offered at 6 p.m. at the Troy-Miami County Public Library. Senior benefits adviser Matthew Harger of the U.S. Department of Labor, will be presenting. The purpose of the workshop is to educate the general public about the important protections related to employment-based group health plan coverage under ACA and to help educate individuals about the Health Benefits & Health Reform Provisions under the ACA. For more information, call 937-339-0502 ext. 124.
• MEETING: The Potsdam Village Council will meet at 7 p.m. in the Municipal Building.
• SALAD BAR: The Tipp City American Legion Post 586 will offer a salad bar for $3.50 or a potato bar for $3.50. Both are available for $6. Serving begins at 6 p.m.
• SPRING DINNER: The Miami County Democratic Women will hold their annual spring dinner, election and installation of officers at 6:30 p.m. at the Troy-Hayner Cultural Center. The theme for the evening’s meeting is “Miami Democratic Women and Fans of the Red, White, and Blue.” The speaker for the evening is Kathy DiCristofaro, chair of the Ohio Democratic Women’s Caucus. Make a reservation to Pru Schaefer at 335-8647 by May 5. Guests are welcome.
• OPTIMISTS MEET: The Troy Noon Optimist Club will meet at noon at the Boathouse Restaurant. Ken Green will speak at the club-sponsored Strawberry Festival Junior Tournament.
• I CAN RUN: The Miami County Park District will hold the new “I Can Run” program from 5:30-7 p.m. at Charleston Falls Preserve, 2535 Ross Road, south of Tipp City. Beginning runners will join a park district naturalist every Monday and Wednesday evening on a journey from non-runner to “I Can Run” over this multi-week program. Class fee for the series is $5. Preregistration required. Preregister for by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109.
• ADVISORY BOARD: Teens looking for a volunteer opportunity can join others the Troy-Miami County Library’s Teen Advisory Board. The board meets once a month at 6:30 p.m. at the Troy library; TAB members assist with library projects, children’s programs, and can earn community service hours for attending meetings and assisting with library events. For more information, call the library at 339-0502, Ext. 121.
• COASTERS: Create a DIY watercolor coaster at 6 p.m. at the Milton-Union Public Library. Using burlap for texture and paint for color, create your own one-of-a-kind coaster for summer. Sign-ups are required as supplies are provided call (937) 698-5515 to sign up.
• SCAVENGER HUNT: The Miami County Park District will hold its Preschool in the Park “Nature Scavenger Hunt” program from 11 a.m. to noon at Lost Creek Reserve, 2385 E. State Route 41, east of Troy. Join park district naturalist Gecko Jody as she leads the group in play, a craft and toddler sized hike. Read a book together and then head out onto the trail for a nature scavenger hunt. There is a $3 class fee due at the time of registration. Class size limited to 12, class minimum is four. Must be preregistered to attend. Preregister for the program by sending an email to email@example.com, going to the program calendar at www.MiamiCountyParks.com or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109. Credit card payments are now accepted online at time of registration.
• WILDFLOWER WALK: The Miami County Park District will hold its Wildflower Walk program at 2 p.m. at Garbry Big Woods Sanctuary, 2540 East Statler Road, east of Piqua. Join a park district naturalist and take a leisurely hike along the boardwalk to discover what spring wildflowers are in bloom. Dress for the weather with sturdy walking shoes. Register for the program by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109.
• COFFEE AND COLOR: Join staff at the Troy-Miami County Public Library for coffee and coloring. Take a stress break and enjoy a cup of coffee while coloring away the day’s anxiety at 1 p.m. The coloring pages, colored pencils, and coffee will be provided. For more information, call 339-0502, Ext. 117.
• CRAFTS: The Tipp City Seniors members and guests will be offered crafts and quilting at 9 a.m. at 320 S. First St., Tipp City.
• NURSE VISIT: A UVMC wellness nurse will visit the JR Clarke Public Library, Covington, from 9-10:45 a.m. Come in for free blood pressure check and glucose screenings.