• TREE PLANTING: The Troy Beautification Committee will be celebrating Arbor Day by planting a tree in honor of Kathy Slack, long time supporter of the Troy Skating Club, at 10 a.m. at Hobart Arena. Troy third graders will be present to partake in the ceremonial “tree planting.”
• LUNCH ON LAWN: The Miami County Cattleman’s Association will offer Lunch on the Lawn from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the Miami County Courthouse lawn, Troy. Meals will be sirloin sandwich for $6 or ribeye for $8 with chips, cookie and pop or water.
• FRIDAY DINNERS: The Covington VFW Post 4235, 73 N. High St., will offer dinners, including broasted chicken, New York strip steaks, fish and shrimp and a variety of sandwiches from 5-8 p.m.
• SEAFOOD: The Pleasant Hill VFW Post 6557, 7578 W. Fenner Road, Ludlow Falls, will offer a three-piece fried fish dinner, 21-piece fried shrimp, or a fish/shrimp combo with french fries and coleslaw for $7 from 6-7:30 p.m. Frog legs, when available, for $10.
• SHOWCASE CINEMA: Catch a movie on the big screen at the Milton-Union Public Library at 3 p.m. Movies will be G or PG rated and appropriate for the whole family. Light refreshments will also be provided.
• COMPUTER Q&A: Local experts will be offering 30-minute help sessions from 9:30 a.m. to noon for those who need help with their computers. These one-on-one sessions can cover either software or hardware questions. Bring your own laptop if you can, but library laptops will be available if you are not able to bring your own. Sign up is required, so call the library at (937) 698-5515 or ask at the front desk. For more information about this or other programs, call (937) 698-5515 or visit www.mupubliclibrary.org. The library is also in need of bubble wrap and padded envelopes for shipping purposes. Milton-Union Public Library is located at 560 S. Main St., West Milton and is open Monday through Thursday 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Friday and Saturday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• PIZZA: Pizza night will be offered at 6 p.m. at the Troy Fish & Game.
• LUNCH ON THE LAWN: The Miami County Cattlemen’s Association invites you to have lunch on the lawn of the Miami County Courthouse, Troy, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sirloin sandwich lunches are $6, rib eye sandwich lunches are $8. Lunches include sandwich, chips, cookie, soda or bottled water.
• RIBS: Baby back ribs, two sides, salad and dessert will be served by the Tipp City American Legion Post 586 Riders. Serving starts at 6 p.m. for $8.
• GARAGE SALE: First Lutheran Church, State Rout 41 and Washington Road, Troy, will have a garage sale from 9 a.m. to 4p.m. Lots of miscellaneous items.
• CHICKEN AND SAUSAGE: The American Legion Post 43 will be serving grilled chicken and sausage Alfredo with salad, garlic bread and dessert from 5-7:30 p.m. for $9.
• ART COMPETITION: The Troy-Hayner Cultural Center will open “An Artist Discovery: The Congressional Art Competition,” with a reception from 10 a.m. to noon. This prestigious competition and ceremony is for talented high school art students from Ohio’s 8th Congressional District. Winners will be recognized at an awards reception on Saturday, April 29th. The grand prizewinner will be invited to attend the national awards ceremony in Washington, D.C. Winning artwork will be displayed for one year at the U.S. Capitol. The exhibit will continue through May 7.
• PLAY DATE: The Miami County Park District will hold its a Nature Play Date program at 2 p.m. at Stillwater Prairie Reserve, 9750 State Route 185, Covington. Bring your elementary school age child to the natural play area for fun and games with park district naturalist Accipiter Amalee. Register for the program by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, going to the program calendar at www.MiamiCountyParks.com or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109.
• SPAGHETTI: A spaghetti and meatball dinner will be offered at 6 p.m. at the Troy Fish & Game.
• CANDY LAND JAM: StoryPoint Troy will offer its annual Candy Land Jam event to the public from 1-3 p.m. at 1840 Towne Park Drive, Troy. The event will include cakes, cookies, candies and more created by the chef, face painting and balloon artists. The event is free of charge. Call (855) 40-STORY to make a reservation.
• KARAOKE: Karaoke will begin at 7 p.m. at the Tipp City American Legion Post 586.
• GARAGE SALE: First Lutheran Church, State Rout 41 and Washington Road, Troy, will have a garage sale from 9 a.m. to noon. Lots of miscellaneous items.
• SALE: A rummage, re-purpose and reuse sale will be offered from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Overfield School, 172 S. Ridge Ave., Troy. This will be an open-air household flea market promoting sustainability and creativity. Entry will be $2 per person and free for children. For more information, or to be a vendor, contact email@example.com, or visit www. overfield.org.
• QUARTER AUCTION: A quarter auction to benefit Troy Thompson, who is battling cancer, at 7 p.m. at the Knights of St. John, 110 S. Wayne St., Piqua. Tickets are $2 and can be purchased at Winans in Piqua. Doors open at 6:30 p.m.
• SPAGHETTI SUPPER: A spaghetti supper to help send you to summer church camp will be from 4:30-7 p.m. at Pleasant Hill First Brethren Church, 210 N. Walnut St., Pleasant Hill. The menu is spaghetti with meat sauce, salad, breadsticks, desserts and drinks. Donations will be accepted.
• FISH FRY: The Miami East Athletic Booster fish fry will be from 6-7:30 p.m. at the Troy Fish & Game, 2618 Lefevre Road, Troy. An auction and bingo will follow from 7:30-11 p.m. Admission is $10 and tip boards and auction items will be offered throughout the evening. Tickets are available through track, baseball and softball athletes, as well as from Mrs. Snider in the high school athletic office or in the high school office.
• BOOK SIGNING: Jay Cullis, a 1999 THS graduate, will sign his book, “The Shadow of the Chandlier,” at 3 p.m. at Jay & Mary’s Book Center, Troy. For more on the book, visit www.jaycullis.com.
• PLANT SWAP: A workshop at 10:30 a.m. at the Bradford Public Library will feature Brenda Grant on the topic of “Growing and Crafting Gourds!” Refreshments will be served the entire time at the Plant Swap. The library’s annual plant swap will be from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Do not forget that you can bring or take home different types of seeds, cuttings and a wide variety of different plants. The time for dropping off these plants will begin at 9:30 a.m. Raffle tickets also will be sold for prizes on display at the library. For more information, call (937) 448-2612.
• BREAKFAST: Breakfast will be offered at 8:30 a.m. at the Troy Fish & Game.
• BREAKFAST: Breakfast will be offered from 8-11 a.m. at the Tipp City American Legion Post 586. A full breakfast, made to order, for $7; children under 10 eat for $3.
• LUNCH WITH GOD: St. James Episcopal Church, 200 W. High St. will be hosting Lunch with God from 12:30-2 p.m. The meal is free and open to the public.
• WATERCOLOR EXHIBIT: The Piqua Public Library and The Friends of the Library will host the Ohio Watercolor Society Exhibit from May 1-26 in the second floor art gallery at the library. The gallery doors are open from noon to 5 p.m. Monday-Saturday.
• BOOK SALE: The Bradford Public Library will offer its annual book sale through Friday. Hours are Monday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., Tuesday and Thursday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Friday from 10 a.m. to noon. On Thursday and Friday, a bag of books will be $1. Fines also will be erased from card holder’s accounts this week if requested.
• CLASS LUNCH: The Piqua Catholic class of 1953 will meet for lunch at noon at the Covington Eagles.
• LITERACY COUNCIL: The Troy Literacy Council board meets the first Tuesday of every month at 7 p.m. at the Troy Hayner Cultural Center. The mission of the Troy Literacy Council, Inc. is to improve the quality of life in the Miami County, Ohio area. TLC is an all-volunteer, non-profit organization which provides free, confidential, one-on-one tutoring in basic education for native born adults and non-native speakers who want to learn English as another language. The Troy Literacy Council, Inc. is a member of ProLiteracy America.
• KIWANIS: Kiwanis of Piqua will meet at noon at Grace Methodist Church, 9411 N. County Road 25-A, Piqua. “Miami County’s Virtual Market: How It Works and What Is Available,” with Jennifer Ruff, will be presented. For more information, call Brian Phillips at 778-1586 or visit www.freewebs.com/piquakiwanis/.
• KIWANIS: The Kiwanis of Troy will welcome guest speakers Randy Chavalley and Matt Kendall from the Ohio Department of Transportation at noon at the Troy Country Club.
• SLIDERS: Sliders and chips will be offered at the Tipp City American Legion Post 586. Two sliders with toppings and chips for $2 beginning at 6 p.m.
• COMPUTER Q & A: Local experts will be offering 30-minute help sessions from 6:30-8 p.m. at the Milton-Union Public Library for those who need help with their computers. These one-on-one sessions can cover either software or hardware questions. Bring your own laptop if you can, but library laptops will be available if you are not able to bring your own. Sign up is required, so call the library at 937-698-5515 or ask at the front desk.
• RUMMAGE SALE: St. John’s United Church of Christ, 130 S. Walnut St., Troy, will offer a rummage sale from 4-8 p.m., from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday and 9 a.m. to noon Saturday.
• JEDI TRAINING: The Oakes-Beitman Memorial Library will offer a Jedi training program at 6 p.m. This event includes story time with a special guest, crafts and fun activities inspired by favorite “Star Wars” characters. Costumes are encouraged, but not required for this family-friendly evening. For more information, call 676-271.
• BLOOD DRIVE: Piqua Baptist Church will show support for May Military Appreciation Month with a community blood drive from 2:30-6:30 p.m. in the gym, 1402 West High St. Everyone who registers to donate will receive the Community Blood Center “Military Appreciation Month Blood Donor” T-shirt. Donors are encouraged to schedule an appointment online at www.DonorTime.com or call (800) 388-GIVE.
• BOOK SALE: The Friends of the Troy-Miami County Public Library will offer a members-only preview night from 6-8 p.m. of their their semi-annual book sale at the Miami County Fairgrounds, 650 N. County Road 25-A, Troy. New memberships may be purchased that evening. For more information, call (937) 339-0502 or go to www.troypubliclibrary.org.
• PIZZA BURGERS: Pizza burgers will be served beginning at 6 p.m. for $5, and Euchre at 7 p.m. for $5 at the Tipp City American Legion Post 586.
• BOOK SALE: The Friends of the Troy-Miami County Public Library will sponsor their semi-annual book sale through Sunday at the Miami County Fairgrounds, 650 N. County Road 25-A, Troy. Sale times are 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. A selection of books, puzzles, DVDs, special titles and old books are available with prices starting at 25 cents. Sunday is $1 per bag of books and all specials are half price. All proceeds will be used for the Summer Reading Club, literacy efforts and special purchases for the library. For more information, call (937) 339-0502 or go to www.troypubliclibrary.org.
• RUMMAGE SALE: St. John’s United Church of Christ, 130 S. Walnut St., Troy, will offer a rummage sale from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. today and 9 a.m. to noon Saturday.
• CHICKEN FRY: A three-piece chicken dinner with french fries and macaroni salad will be offered for $8 and up from 6- 7:30 p.m. Chicken livers also are available.
• BURGERS: Bacon burgers will be served beginning at 6 p.m. at the Troy Fish & Game.
• FISH AND CHICKEN: Fish and/or chicken tenders, french fries, hush puppies, coleslaw and dessert will be offered at the Tipp City American Legion Post 586. Serving begins at 6 p.m. for $8.
• EMPLOYMENT WORKSHOP: Goodwill Easter Seals will be hosting an employment workshop in the multi-purpose room at the Milton-Union Public Library from 2-3 p.m. This program is a great opportunity for teens looking for a summer job or adults looking for career opportunities.
• SPAGHETTI DINNER: An all-you-can-eat spaghetti dinner will be offered from 3-7 p.m. at the American Legion Hall, 622 S. Market St., Troy, to benefit Troy Post 43 baseball. Meals will include spaghetti, salad bar, bread, dessert and drinks for $7.75 for adults and $4.50 for children 13 and younger.
• PUNT, PASS, KICK: Troy Football, Lincoln Community Center, and Troy-Miami County Public Library will host this free event at 10 a.m. at Ferguson Field. Includes instruction from Troy Varsity Football players on proper throwing, kicking, and punting mechanics. There will be four age groups for boys and girls, ages 6-7, ages 8-9, ages 10-11, and ages 12-13. Trophies will be awarded for the first three places in each age group. Registration forms will be available and can be turned in at the Troy library or Lincoln Community Center. Visit tmcpl.org for online registration or a printable form. There will be registration the day of event beginning at 9:30 a.m. dependent on participation.
• YOUNG BIRDER’S CLUB: Join Brukner Nature Center’s Young Birders as participants will take the time to enjoy one of the most exciting birding events of the year known around the world as “The Biggest Week in Birding” at Magee Marsh in northern Ohio. This event is highlighted by the small yet brilliantly colored warblers making their way back toward Canada for nesting season. Contact Brian for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Young Birder’s Club is geared for students in grades 6-12 with an interest in birding. Membership in the YBC is $10 per year, plus high quality binoculars and field guides are provided for meetings and field trips, so no additional equipment is needed.
• RUMMAGE SALE: St. John’s United Church of Christ, 130 S. Walnut St., Troy, will offer a rummage sale from 9 a.m. to noon.
• CRAFT SHOW: The West Milton Senior Center and Community Club will host a spring craft show from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at 435 W. Hamilton St., West Milton. There also will be a lunch stand and baked goods sale and door prizes will be awarded hourly. Proceeds will go toward the repair of the roof. For more information, call Carol Garver at (937) 698-7129.
• TENDERLOINS: The Pleasant Hill VFW Post 6557, 7578 W. Fenner Road, Ludlow Falls, will offer grilled or fried tenderloin sandwiches with homemade french fries for $6 from 6-8 p.m.
• DINE TO DONATE: Buffalo Wild Wings will donate 10 percent of the sales of the day, from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m., to support the Troy-Miami County Public Library’s Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library program in Miami County. There will also be games, raffles, and Kentucky Derby activities to participate in at this fundraising event. One of the games, Balls for Books, will feature the opportunity to compete against Troy Football coaches, players and local celebrities. Make sure to attend between 2-5 p.m. to see if you can beat a Trojan. Derby Day contests will begin several hours prior to the 6:30 p.m. race. Tickets can be purchased for raffle giveaways. For more information, call Buffalo Wild Wings at (937) 440-9016, or on the Dolly Parton Imagination Library, call or visit the library at (937) 339-0502.
• STEAK AND CHICKEN: A steak or chicken dinner will be served beginning at 6 p.m. at the Troy Fish & Game. The band Desert Star will perform at 7:30 p.m.
• SHARE-A-MEAL: Share A Meal will be offered from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at First United Church of Christ, 120 S. Market St., Troy. They will be serving macaroni bake, green beans, pie and beverages. Carry-outs will be available at 12:30 p.m., as quantities last. This program is free to anyone wishing to participate and are in need of a warm nourishing meal. Use the Canal Street entrance, which is handicapped accessible.
• NIGHT AT RACES: St. Patrick Church has a new fundraiser, Night at the Races, starting at 5:30 p.m. with a meal provided by El Sombrero and will be served until 7 p.m. The Kentucky Derby will be shown right before our races begin. For an admission fee of $20, participants will enjoy a Mexican dinner, watch the derby and have a chance to bet on horseraces. There also will be a 50/50 drawing, a silent auction and more. Proceeds from this event will help St. Patrick Parish upgrade their sound system and upkeep at the parish center.
• KARAOKE: Karaoke will begin at 7 p.m. at the Tipp City American Legion Post 586.
• LEGO CLUB: Build with LEGO at the Milton-Union Public Library from 2-3 p.m. Each meeting will have a theme and free style building. All ages are welcome.
• WILD ART: Paint a portrait of a ruby-throated hummingbird on a 16-inch-by-20-inch canvas and raise funds for Brukner Nature Center. A naturalist will provide an engaging introduction to the natural history of these beautiful creatures, then Lisa Bauer of the Mayflower Arts Center will guide you as you paint. The fee is $35 per person, ages 13-adult, and includes refreshments and all materials. Call Brukner Nature Center at (937) 698-6493 to pre-register. All proceeds benefit the Brukner Nature Center Wildlife Ambassador program.
• TOAD WORKSHOP: From 2-4 p.m. at Brukner Nature Center, join others for a fun, family-friendly workshop about toads. Join staff as they discuss some cool natural history of the toad and then take our knowledge out on the trails where we will turn logs and search creek beds for the well-camouflaged amphibian. Participants will then return to the building where staff will help you make “houses” for the toads if you want to purchase a kit. BNC Members are free and non-members are $5 per person. Toad house kits are $7.50 each. Call Brukner Nature Center at (937) 698-6493 to pre-register.
• QUARTER AUCTION: A grand band quarter auction to benefit the Troy High School marching band’s trip to London for the New Year’s parade will begin at 2 p.m. in the high school cafeteria. Entry is $2 and quarter tickets will be sold for the auction. Several vendors also will have displays set up.
• BREAKFAST: Breakfast will be offered at the Tipp City American Legion Post 586 from 8-11 a.m. Choose from eggs-your-way, bacon, sausage, toast, biscuits, sausage gravy, pancakes, waffles, french toast, home fries, cinnamon rolls, fruit and juices. Adults $7, children under 10 $3.