• MORNINGS IN MOTION: Join Troy-Miami County Library staff from 10-11 a.m. for Mornings in Motion. Mornings in Motion will combine walking, early literacy and fun. Bring your children, a stroller and your walking shoes. Meet at McKaig and Race Park, 822 McKaig, or at the Troy library, 419 W. Main St.; this program is for all ages. In the event of inclement weather, the program will be modified and held in the multi-purpose room at the Troy library. For more information, call 339-0502, Ext. 123, or visit tmcpl.org.
• HEALTH TREKKERS: The Miami County Park District will hold its Health Trekkers programfrom 10-11 a.m. at Hobart Urban Nature Preserve, 1400 Tyrone, Troy. Take a hike for heath and join park district health and wellness specialist, registered nurse Marion for this weekly low impact walk held each Thursday morning. Relevant topics such as heart health, diet and nutrition, diabetes prevention, stress relief and many others will be discussed during this six week walking series. Remember to wear weather appropriate gear and walking shoes for comfort. Registration not required but highly recommended. Register for the program by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109.
• TRUSTEES MEETING: The Tipp City Seniors Board of Trustees will meet at 10 a.m. at 320 S. First St., Tipp City. The public is welcome. The members’ annual meeting will follow at 11 a.m. A carry-in luncheon will be at nooon.
• BLOOD DRIVE: The Knights of St. John of Piqua will host a Community Blood Center blood drive from 1:30-5:30 p.m. in the Great Hall, 110 S. Wayne St. The “Buckeye Strong Blood Donor” ceramic coffee tumbler is a warm gift to everyone who registers to donate. Donors are encouraged to schedule an appointment online at www.DonorTime.com or call (800) 388-GIVE.
• MEETING: There will be a general meeting at 7:30 p.m. to renew memberships and elect two board positions for the Fort Rowdy Gathering at the Covington City Building. Comments and suggestions are always welcome.
• HAMBURGERS: The American Legion Auxiliary Unit 586, Tipp City, will prepare hamburgers with chips for $3 or with French fries for $4. Toppings will be available. Serving starts at 6 p.m. with Euchre to follow at 7 p.m.
• MEETING: The Miami County Children’s Services Board will meet at 9 a.m. at the offices, 510 W. Water Sr., Suite 210, Troy.
• ART SHOW: The 10th annual art show will take place at Hoffman United Methodist Church at 201 S. Main St., one block west of State Route 48, in the Activity Center. A silent auction, featuring pieces provided by the artists, will begin during the preview party on Friday, Oct. 14 and conclude at 2 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 16. Friday evening activites, open to the public, are scheduled from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Some of the artists will be present to discuss their work. Saturday hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday hours are 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• SOUPER WALK: The Miami County Park District will hold its Souper-Walk program at 7 p.m. at Maple Ridge Reserve, 10430 State Route 185 in Covington. Enjoy a guided, nighttime hike through the woods followed by a warm crackling fire and hot cup of homemade soup. Hikers are encouraged to bring a can of soup for donation to a local food pantry. Stay warm – remember to layer up before you head out. Pre-registration requested. Register for the program by sending an email to email@example.com, going to the program calendar at www.MiamiCountyParks.com or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109.
• STEAK: A New York strip steak dinner will be offered beginning at 6 p.m. at the Troy Fish and Game.
• FRIDAY DINNERS: The Covington VFW Post 4235, 73 N. High St., will offer dinners, including broasted chicken, New York strip steaks, fish and shrimp and a variety of sandwiches from 5-8 p.m.
• PORK CHOPS: The Sons of the American Legion, Squadron 586, Tipp City, will prepare grilled pork chops, baked potato, salad, dinner roll and dessert for $8. Serving starts at 6 p.m.
• RUMMAGE SALE: First United Church of Christ, 120 S. Market St, Troy, will have a church-wide rummage sale from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. The sale will include a large selection of items. All proceeds go to Relay for Life.
• COLLECTION SATURDAY: To kick off their new hearing aid collection project, the Troy Lions Club will hold “Collection Saturday” from 10 a.m. to noon Oct. 15 at the Troy-Miami County Public Library. Residents that have older, used and unwanted hearing aids are encouraged to donate them at this time. Lions Club members will be on hand to accept the aids and answer any questions. After the Saturday event, the club will have a special collection box permanently at the library. Hearing aids can be dropped off there any time. For more information visit their website at www.e-clubhouse.org/sites/Troy_OH or call 335-7345.
• ARTISANS SHOWCASE: The 11th annual Autumn Artisans Showcase will feature handmade items from local artists, including the fiber arts, photography, jewelry, lapidary, woodcrafts and polymer clay from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Monroe Grange, 4729 Peters Road, Tipp City. There is a little cafe on the premises that features homemade food. Door prizes will be awarded.
• PORK CHOP: The Pleasant Hill VFW Post 6557, 7578 W. Fenner Road, Ludlow Falls, will offer a marinated pork chop dinner (non-marinated pork chops available upon request) with baked potato and corn for $9 from 5-7 p.m. A tractor pull will be at 2 p.m. and hamburgers on the range will be from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• MUSIC IN THE HOUSE: The Juggernaut Jug Band will perform at 7:30 p.m. at the Troy-Hayner Cultural Center. The band of seasoned musicians has a rather zany sense of humor. Expect a combination vaudeville act, musical American history lesson and sweet vocal harmonies. For more information, call 339-0457 or visit www.troyhayner.org.
• FUN WALK: Concord Elementary PTO will host its Second annual Family Fun Walk and 5K. Registration begins at 7 a.m. and the race starts at 8 a.m. The cost is $25 per adult and $15 per child. Register at http://www.cantstoprunningco.com/local-races or contact 332-6730. Participants make come in costume.
• CRAFT BAZAAR: A Fall Essential Craft Bazaar will be from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Riverside of Miami County. There are about 30 vendors that will take part in the event. While Riverside is not putting the event on, Riverside will receive the proceeds.
• DISCOVERY HIKE: The Miami County Park District will hold its Family Discovery Hike “Insects” from 1:30-3 p.m. at Charleston Falls Preserve, 2535 Ross Road, south of Tipp City. Join park district naturalist Accipiter Amalee to learn all about insects. This guided hike is designed for children with autism and their families, but all are welcome. Each hike will include 1-2 different social skills to practice along with several fun activities. Class minimum four families, maximum 10 families. Register for the program by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109.
• FESTIVAL AND BINGO: The A.B. Graham Memorial Center, corner of State Route 36 and Alcony-Conover Road, will offer a fall festival and bingo from 5-9 p.m. A meal will be served from 5-7 p.m. for $8 for adults and $4 for children 12 and under. A costume parade and contest will be at 6 p.m., followed by kids’ games and a cake walk at 6:30 p.m. Bingo will be at 7 p.m. and the museum will be open from 5-7 p.m.
• FISH FRY: A fish fry will be offered beginning at 6 p.m. at the Troy Fish and Game. Trivia will begin at 7:30 p.m.
• BENEFIT: A benefit to raise money for Rodney Westfall who was recently diagnose with Stage 4 Melanoma will begin at 4 p.m. at AMVETS Post 66, 10010 W. State Route 185, Covington. The event include a hog roast, raffles, silent auction, 50/50 raffle and a bake sale. He will be traveling back and forth to OSU for treatments.
• AUTUMN CRAFT CLASS: Join Deb for a creative afternoon making decorations that celebrate the season. Please register in advance for this free craft session, which takes place 2-4 p.m. in the Louis Program Room at the Piqua Public Library, 116 W. High St.
• BIRDERS CLUB: Come learn all about Ohio’s bats from 2-4 p.m. with wildlife officer Jasmine Grossnickle. Help our Ohio species by building a bat box for your home. Call to register and reserve a bat box kit for $30 by Friday at 5 p.m. This program is free for BNC members and just $5 for non-members. Cash or check only.
• NIGHT HIKE: Brukner Nature Center will have a night hike at 8: p.m. Every month BNC naturalists plan a nighttime adventure in to the Brukner woodlands. Join a BNC naturalist as you take off into the woods. Free and open to the public.
• PUBLIC STAR GAZE: Join the Stillwater Stargazers and explore the starry night sky at 9 p.m. at Brukner Nature Center. Members will have their telescopes set up to answer questions. This program is free and open to the public, following the night hike.
• KARAOKE: Tipp City American Legion Post 586 will host karaoke from 7 p.m. to close.
• TEEN READ WEEK: Celebrate the finale of Teen Read Week at the library. We will have a party with games, snacks, and more young adult fiction available for checkout. Teens ages 13-18 are welcome.
• RUMMAGE SALE: First United Church of Christ, 120 S. Market St, Troy, will have a church-wide rummage sale from 8 a.m. to noon. The sale will include a large selection of items. All proceeds go to Relay for Life.
• REUNION: Descendants of Uriah and Armina (Pearson) Hess will gather at 12:30 p.m. at St. John’s Lutheran Church, 248 Wood St., Piqua, for a potluck dinner. Bring food to share and your own table service.
• DOG SOCIAL: The Miami County Park District will hold its dog social “Leaf Games” from 1-3 p.m. at Hobart Urban Nature Preserve, 1400 Tyrone in Troy. If your dog is nice and plays well with others, bring them to the park to take part in “Leaf Games” program. Don’t miss this fun event! Remember owners are responsible for their dogs – please clean up after your pet. Meet at the park entrance. Register for the program by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, emailing email@example.com or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109.
• SUNSET SONGS: The Miami County Park District will hold its Music in the Park “Sunset Songs” program from 6-7 p.m. at Charleston Falls Preserve, 2535 Ross Road, south of Tipp City. Participants are invited to listen to the sound of music and nature. Bring a blanket or a chair. Register for the program by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109.
• VIEW FROM THE VISTA: Come discover Brukner Nature Center’s vista birdlife and join members of the BNC Bird Club as you learn to identify our feathered friends from 2-4 p.m. Come on out, enjoy the camaraderie in the third story window on wildlife. All levels of birders welcome and really good binoculars are available for use.
• BREAKFAST: The American Legion Post 586, Tipp City, will host breakfast from 8-11 a.m. Items available will be eggs-your-way, bacon, sausage, biscuits, sausage gravy, pancakes, waffles, french toast, home fries, regular toast, cinnamon rolls, fruit and juices. Meals are $6.
• MOVE AND GROOVE: Join staff at 6:30 p.m. for ”Move and Groove” at the Troy-Miami County Public Library. Children and caregivers will enjoy 30 minutes of various activities which include music and movement; this program is for children ages 2-6. An additional “Move and Groove” session is scheduled for Nov. 7. For more information call 339-0502, Ext. 123, or visit tmcpl.org.
• SHRIMP: Tipp City American Legion Post 586 will prepare a shrimp and fries dinner for $7. Serving starts at 6 p.m. The Auxiliary Unit will have a membership meeting at 7 p.m.
• CRAFTY LISTENERS: The Crafty Listeners gather from 1-2:30 p.m. at the Milton-Union Public Library. This group of women listens to a lighthearted book while working on joint and individual craft projects. Both experienced crafters and those wanting to learn are welcome.
• MOVIE MONDAY: Join us for a DVD showing every Monday on the library’s giant projector screen. Popcorn will be provided and you may bring your own snacks as well. A movie will be in the multi-purpose room at 3-5 p.m. every Monday. Special thanks to the Miami Co foundation for the grant to buy the big screen.
• BUDDY READING: Bring your child in to practice reading with an adult or high school volunteer. Students will be able to meet their A.R. goals and practice reading. The program will be from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at the Milton-Union Public Library.
• MEETING SET: The Miami County Retired Teachers Association will meet at 11:45 a.m. at the Troy Church of the Nazarene, Troy, corner of State Route 55 and Barnhart roads. This meeting will honor the professional educators that have passed away during the past year. For lunch reservations, contact Nancy at 339-7859.
• LUNCH PROGRAM: Altrusa International of Troy will host its monthly lunch program at noon at Riverside School. The local service club welcomes Troy resident, volunteer and physical therapist Faye McNerney as their guest speaker. McNerney will address the topic of physical therapy. McNerney is also a longtime member of the local club. For more information altrusatroy.com or call Tami Ganley at 335-1480.
• CRAFTS: The Tipp City Seniors members and guests will be offered crafts and quilting at 9 a.m. at 320 S. First St., Tipp City.
• ROTARY: Attorney Tom Cochran will speak on “The History of Presidential Elections” to the Piqua Rotary at 11:45 a.m. at Edison State Community College.
• GENEALOGY: The Miami County Historical & Genealogical Society will meet at 6:30 p.m. in the Louis Program Room at the Piqua Public Library, 116 W. High St. This month’s topic will be “Tales of the Forest Hill Cemetery” presented by Jim Roth. Open to the public.
• SCAVENGER HUNT: Children in grades 3-6 are welcome to join in the scary fun of a Halloween scavenger hunt in the Children’s Department from 6-7 p.m. at the Piqua Public Library, 116 W. High St. Prizes will be awarded.
• QUARTER AUCTION: The American Legion Post 586, Tipp City, will host a quarter auction from 7-9 p.m. Admission is $2 and you will receive one paddle. Extra paddles are available for purchase. The post kitchen will be open from 5:30-8:30 p.m. for food sales.
• DINNER: The Sons of the American Legion Post 43 will be serving pizzas, calzones and wings every Tuesday from 5:30-8 p.m.
• LIBRARY BOARD MEETING: The Milton-Union Public Library Board of Trustees will meet at 7 p.m. The library is located at 560 S. Main St., West Milton.
• STORY TIME: Parents and their child are invited to join staff for story time at 1 p.m. at the Oakes-Beitman Memorial Library, 12 N. Main St., Pleasant Hill; your child will enjoy a variety of stories, songs, fingerplays and crafts as they build early literacy skills and develop a love of reading. For children ages birth to 5 years old. Registration is requested. Call (937) 676-2731 for more information or to register your child.
• KIWANIS: The Kiwanis Club of Troy welcomes Don Wiggins, director of Community Relations and Gifts In-Kind at Flying Horse Farms. He will be sharing about their camp for children who are ill. Lunch meeting starts at noon at the Troy Country Club, with a board meeting to follow.
• KIWANIS: “How PUCO Works for You,” with Zachary Hoffman, public information officer for the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio, Office of Public Affairs, is planned. Luncheon and meetings take place at noon Wednesdays at The Bistro Room, 1876 Commerce Drive, Piqua. For more information, call Brian Phillips (778-1586) or visit www.freewebs.com/piquakiwanis/.
• SPOOKY OHIO: Join staff for a spooky tour of Ohio in the Troy-Miami County Library, 419 W. Main St., Troy, at 6:30 p.m. Take in the sights and sounds of haunted buildings, roads, graveyards, etc., found in Ohio. Hear Ohio ghost stories and legends, just in time for Halloween. Some content may not be suitable for children. For more information, call 339-0502 Ext. 117.
• LINE DANCING: The Tipp City Seniors members and guests will have line dancing at 9 a.m. at 320 S. First St., Tipp City. A program of line dancers will follow.
• VA SEMINAR: A VA benefits free educational seminar will be offered from 5-6:30 p.m. at the Comfort Inn Suites, 1800 Towne Park Drive, Troy. The guest speaker will be Elizabeth Durnell from Lovett & Lovett. For a reservation, call (937) 541-5182.
• SLIDERS: John’s sliders, two for $2, will be offered at the Tipp City American Legion Post 586. Toppings and chips are available. Serving begins at 6 p.m.
• STORY TIME: “Presidential election” is the theme in this week’s Story Time at Milton-Union Public Library. Storytime will begin at 10:30 a.m. and at 1:30 p.m. at the library. Stories, crafts, games and puppet shows are included in the activities for children and their caretakers.
• COMPUTER Q&A SESSIONS: Local expert Bill Coate will be offering 30-minute help sessions for those who need help with their computers. These 1-on-1 sessions can cover either software or hardware questions. Call 698-5515 to sign up between 6:30 and 8 p.m.
• WOMEN’S LUNCHEON: The Troy-Tipp Women’s Connection will meet from noon to 1:45 p.m. at the Troy Country Club. The speaker will be Tana Durham with “Mistaken Identity,” and the music will be by Troy’s Pat Skinner. To make a reservation, call Pat at 552-9827 or Joan at 335-3001.
• BOE: The Bradford Board of Education will meet in executive session at 5:15 p.m. followed by a regular meeting at 5:30 p.m. in Room 404.